Help for a student!?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sharp.1995, Jan 14, 2011.

1. sharp.1995

sharp.1995 New Member

Hi I am new to these forums and have only just registered, so hello!

I am a student in the UK and am hoping someone on these forums can give me the text-book definition for "Scantlings" ?

I have been looking for some time and have struggled to find clear definition; as far as I understand Scantlings are the structural members forming the boat / ship ? does this include plating ? or just the frame work ?

ANY advice would be hugely appreciated,

Many thanks
    Shaun.

2. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

Effective dimensions of load carrying elements, to make them strong enough.
    Under "effective dimensions" it is understood " effective in load carrying", when end attachments, cut-outs and the like are taken to account.

example: calculation show, that plating need to be 3.7mm thick; you chose either 3.5 or 4.0 to build.
    example: frame section modulus has to be 10cm3; any flatbar, angle, HP with section modulus above ~9.8 will do;

and so on.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I almost agree in the above definition, except that you should leave off the "effective in load carrying" part, because this has nothing to do with the scantlings.

In fact I'd use a different approach, such as scantlings are the physical dimensions and descriptions of the elements (structural or other wise) on a boat.

Anyone that's had to preform repairs can attest to the lack of "effective in load carrying" potion of the Perm's description, particularly in racing craft, where often the "effective load carrying" thing has been found a wee bit short in the calculations department.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Scantlings are the sizes but not the specification of material. For example, a frame can be 3"X7"; those are the scantlings. The specifications of materials would be: hard pine or oak.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I disagree, though from a technical stand point you may be right Gonzo. All the scantlings I've written included material choices if required. (1.5" x 2.75" sheer clamp, hardwood, white or live oak preferred), etc.

I consider the specifications the general dimensions and generally published hydrostatic/dynamic figures, such as LOD, LWL, AVS and Cp.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.