Help Finding plans for my dreamtri.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by neptunkryssare, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Well Neptune, you could be a radical and build the Stinger main hull .... and then build two small floats WITH foils. Quite easily and quickly done building in tensioned ply; the foils are not a big deal either, either V or inverted T or Y or curved if you really want to be exotic - you're going to have to build a rudder and a main dagger, what's a couple more foils?
    ps. keep the full sized rig.

2. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

Great idea Gary,if you not are joking with me again :p.!?
    Maybe i could use the amas from a small beachcat and add the extra foils to them.?
    Could they stand the extra force.?
    Smaller hulls and more foils, i suppose it would gain more drag from the water, (while not foiling).?

I don't think adding extra foils is what i should use for my first project, -i think it's more secure stick with the original design or build another boat. For now i use my time to ask and learn from them that are ahead of me in experience.
    I think i will try your idea when i have some more experience.

As I lack knowledge to approximate how much material needed, Jamez - did it come a material list with the study plans that you got of stinger.?

Foils and drag
    -----------------
    Maybe this question just affect small boats with smaller foils, maybe it's not possible at all. But as i am a beginner i think that i am in my right to ask dumb questions. :D

Is there such a thing as folding foils, in the same way as a folding propeller.?
    (link to folding racing propeller).
    http://www.nauticexpo.com/scripts/I...oduit=128437&IDProdSource=&SourceType=Produit

My thought here is that it maybe should be possible to unfold the foils manually or in some way let the force from water do the job, in the latter they should have the ability to be locked in unfolded shape to avoid problems if the boat short time loses speed.
    And/Or could it be possibly to slide up the foils above the hulls waterline while sailing in low wind or in shallow water.?

3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Peter, you can have lifting, asymmetric, angled foils, just like a normal daggerboard (but slanted of course), and they can be lifted in ultra light conditions. But they have too be very well secured when fully down. I had an earlier combination of rope loop over broad foil top to cam cleats PLUS wedges ... and still the lift was such, in large waves especially, that the wedges would suddenly fly out (they were tethered) and then slam against the float - a tremendous bang, bang, bang - which made me think the whole boat was being torn apart. Got used to it but slightly terrifying at first. You could also pin them .... but Sod's Law takes over when you want to lift them, means crawling way out there to leeward.
    Actually, if you have a fast light boat, the foil area required to lift float is not very large at all, drag is minimal - also you can trim the boat in light conditions so only the leeward foil is in water .... is very fast set up like so.

4. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Yes the study prints come with a materials list - although mine was for strip. I also have a materials list somewhere for a GBE cat in Double diagonal ply which is about the same skin area. Will PM you when I find it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.