Help Finding plans for my dreamtri.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by neptunkryssare, Sep 23, 2009.

1. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

Well Gary, i had my doubts - because it was that a short time since you come up with your first idea of that boat. And also i was a little surprised that you offered plans before you had a working prototype..

When you have the plans ready i hope that i can buy them from you :)

2. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

Gary, will you please tell me more about that Restricted Open 8.5 version.?

3. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

I have mailed Tony Stanton about that Stinger MK2 and he answered my back that he had no pictures because these boats .quoting him "they were built in the era before everybody had a digital camera!"

I mailed him back asking for build reports, i asked how they perform and if the foils worked well on that particular boat, but he haven't answered me and And i don't think he will.

Well, i am awaiting the study plans within the post within a few days.

Does anybody know anything about the Stinger MK2.?

4. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

If i can't I cant get more info about Stinger MK2 i feel that what is left to me is trying to find plans for a Ply Formula 28 Tri, but i think that i will build another one after that.

I keep searching the net.

Also, the plans the that Chris had designed(?) in post nr 10 looks quite interesting.

Chris, has this boat ever been built.?

5. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

6. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

Yes Redreuben i have, and they look very nice, but i don,t don't think i would like to spend to much time building that much cabin space.

And i think i want a little faster boat.

I wish there was plans left of the Daemon Tricycle.

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Peter, the Stinger is just a larger, and better, version of Demon Tricycle - although I think Malcolm placed the foils a little too far forward (obviously he was concerned about platform imbalance). Demon Tricycle was a veritable little rocket and if you go that way, I'm sure you will find the type of performance you so desire. About my "C Class" - you'll have to wait a year before the prototype comes out. And the "Open" 8.5 - check out crew.org.nz - they have a separate forum with class rules, etc.

8. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

Im guessing that one of the big issues with the 8.5m rule is the minimum mass?

9. jamez

jamez Senior Member

While Malcolm Tennant sold hundreds of sets of plans for his GBE and Tourismo designs, many of the others are represented by a handful of plan sets sold and 1 or 2 built examples. Malcolm told me that it was not uncommon to get little feedback from builders once a project neared completion or was finished. Tony Stanton has a valid point. The Stinger dates from the mid 1980's when photo's had to be developed and mail meant just that. Back then people didn't generally write 'build reports' because other than the off-chance of getting it published in a boating magazine there was no avenue to do anything with them. Now of course every 2nd guy building a boat is blogging about it, making a lot of info available.

Its worth noting the Stinger is very much an experimental type of design, unlike the kind of well proven 'known quantity' boats like the F82R. Unless you can locate one of the original builders/sailors you probably won't be able to get the design specific information you are looking for. Formula 28's were largely built in Europe so suggest you contact martin at http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/ he may have some knowledge of the Stingers or who built them. I have attached a copy of the original design article.

Otherwise you have to rely on your own knowledge of design to figure whether a boat should perform as intended. In this instance you only have to look at the numbers to know it should be fast if built to weight. Stabilising foils, while a bit unusual when the boat was designed, have been shown to work on a bunch of other designs so there is no reason why not in this case. Otherwise I doubt very much whether you will find an existing F28 design you can build in ply.

You can of course go it alone and design one yourself or get someone to help you. The long thin hulls necessary lend themselves to tortured ply well, such as in Gary's designs. Here is another suggestion, stretch a Buccaneer 24 out to 28 feet and build it with bigger floats and without the accomodation pod - just a thought :D

Attached Files:

10. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

Stinger MK2

jamez and Gary Baigent, i have to say thank you for that you have helped me to find out what should be the best boat for me.

Without your suggestions and ideas i had not understand that stinger should be exactly that boat i for quite sure will build sometime in the future.

I have done some research for which time, material costs and knowledge i need to get my project fulfilled, and facing the reality i understand that it's a little to time consuming to start with right off.

The most important to me right now is building-time.

Therefore i think that my first project should be building a trimaran out of a second hand beachcat.

I assume it should be foolish to build a tri out of a stinger mainhull and amas from a used hobie 18 or Nacra 18 .?

Then i can build real amas for the stinger while waiting for the season thereafter.

Of course i understand if doing so, i will miss the lifting foils until i have built the outriggers that truly belongs to that boat.

If you tell me the above should be a very bad idea, then i think i will open a new thread discussing adding a mainhull to a beachcat.

11. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Happy to try and help. Peter, the hulls you mention are way too small to stabilise a 28 foot tri with a big rig. There have been some successful small day-sailing tri's built with 18 foot floats but they are usually in the vicinity of around 20' feet loa. And of course there is the Tremolino but a main hull of that size is really probably about the limit for components from a mid sized donor cat. Chris Ostlind has looked at donor boats a lot. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Why not buy a cheap beachcat if you want to get on the water quickly and use it as is while building the Stinger?

12. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

Ok, that's what i supposed.

I have one boat for now, a proud swedish neptunkryssare from 1943, and to me it's good in evreything expect the speed. but my plans is keeoing it and cruise with together with my son until i got my tri built, then i will sell my neptunkryssare and use the tri instead, perhaps i also will start to build another one and in that case the stinger.

My son and i prefer weekend cruising and a little longer than so.
    So a beachcat (if not for having a side just for fun, which i don't realy have economy for) is not realy in my planes, expect if it should be invoked in a bigger project.

Therefore we have the need of a little bigger boat

And he is building his own dingy with the people in the youth association
    ubb http://www.udac.net/forening/ubb/.

13. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

What about if i have a smaller rig until i got the 'real' outriggers built.?

14. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Well you could. But I don't see the point. You would end up with a very slow 28 foot tri. And most of those at least have capacious interiors :) . I can totally understand the need to get on the water in the meantime, but you already have the means to do that. If you need to do multi sailing while you build perhaps you could crew for someone instead. My own experience with other or interim projects is they can really chew up your time.

15. neptunkryssare

neptunkryssare Peter

ok, i have to decide the course for my future project.

Either i will build the stinger and let it take its time, or i build the x-molino so i can get it in water quite fast.

If i decide by my hearth it should be the stinger, but there is a chance i go the other way as well.

I better go figure......

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.