Hedley Nicol Trimaran Plans

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Mar 12, 2010.

1. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

HA PHIL the jury is still out....seriously he could find out by comparing the scantlings with other wanderers or getting Alan to look at the plans. Lines wise I don't think there was a lot of difference. The Vagabond MK2 is lower than its cruising version the Cavalier (sorry there was no Cavalier MK 2) and built lighter but not much else is different. I'll look up the AYRS article on wanderer and see what it says. And you probably are going a bit mad somewhere but it would be cured with a Nicol no doubt.
    Cheers,
    Cav

2. cavalier mk2

Here is a study plan view of Wanderer with the longer floats extending past the wing aft.

Attached Files:

3. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

Phil! thank you, I will definitely be getting in touch with John, Much appreciated! I'm glad your finding Unbound's design interesting. Looking at the pdf of a wanderer I'd have to say nope, not a wanderer. Some big differences. The keels are different. The floats are different too. The pdf says 35ft, Unbound's 36, But of course I definitely am no expert. I am trying my best to learn. So the final say will come from the builder John Murray when I contact him c;
    Thank you both so much, its so nice to hear people's passion and interest in a boat design I am in love with c: Really enjoying this! helps my momentum in this project, which seems like a huge under taking for little old me c:
    Hope you both have a lovely day/night
    comet

4. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

5. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

i was just pondering how awesome it would be to get Unbound finished and sail down to NSW with her all spick and spam, tho still original as possible, and to go say hi to John Murray. I think he'd be happy to know his dear old Unbound is loved and inspiring another's dream of wandering the beautiful ocean's of the world. Being made out of western red cedar and teak John obviously knew what he was doing and crafted a vessel that has lasted so well! I feel so lucky that by pure accident I acquired such a beautiful old boat. I didn't even know she was made out of such beautiful timber. This adventure has so many interesting elements. This is the 1st time I've ever really had a home since we emigrated to oz over 25yrs ago. When I tell tales of the project the smiles and inspiration it seems to ignite in others is truly a blessing, and has taught me the true value of Unbound. Not just about me, but a example to all of a freedom so rich in rewards. It is truly a blessed path I walk c:
    peace love and respect
    comet

6. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Is that your boat?

7. cavalier mk2

I'm not attached to the outcome here guys.....Yes the floats are different because those shown in the study plans were from the updated design, along with the keels. Many Nicols are about a foot longer than plans including mine and Hedley's mk2 Privateer because of spring back from the stem lamination. As with the builder, the people who provided the plans are an excellent source of information. Here is the sales info from Hawk, again showing a short float Wanderer. If anyone wants it I will PM them Alan Nicol's (Hedley's son) email.

Attached Files:

8. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

Hi El_Guero
    Thank you. Yea I've seen this. Its true this is Unbound c:
    In chatting to a person who sailed on her, he told me
    John had mentioned this. Its a bit for freeky tale.
    4th July is my mothers birthday, I was born in 1969
    this is the date of the newspaper c:
    I have quite a few unusual stories like this,
    some unseen forces at play here.
    Not that I'm overly superstitious, but a gd tale
    is hard to beat c:
    I've been repairing some of the damage from this mis-adventure
    Thank you
    comet

9. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

oh its even a bit freeky how the photo in this story didn't turn out properly c:

10. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

Hi cavalier mk2
    Its good to know what Unbound's design is. I thank you greatly for your help.
    If you could PM me Alan Nicol email I would truly appreciate it!
    Thank you very much
    comet

11. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

C: thank you all so much I have a big smile C:

12. cavalier mk2

Check your PM uNbound.

13. uNbound

uNbound Junior Member

Hi cavalier mk2
    Thank you so much, I'll let you all know how it goes c:
    Oh did I mention Unbound was a gift to me c:
    I am so lucky. If any of you get a chance your more
    than welcome to come for adventure or two ;)
    comet

14. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Hi Unbound,

Ive done a bit of sailing on a Nicol Cavalier and love Nicols design work, such beautiful boats.

Where abouts in QLD are you? I am in NSW just south of the border, Id love to come and have a look one day if your in the Brisbane/SE QLD area.

When you say Unbound was a gift, do you mean for free? How did you manage that?

Cheers, DAVE

15. cavalier mk2

Here is some info from old AYRS postings. Vagabond MK1 had a narrower main hull beam than wanderer. He first sold Wanderer plans then developed other models. Wanderer is described as having heavier construction and a wider main hull than Vagabond 1 for load carrying. In one post it lists the hull beam of Vagabond 1 at 4 feet, another says 4 feet was the waterline beam. This makes sense to me as that is about the waterline beam of the MK2 while the Cavalier is a bit wider. So pull out a tape measurer and see what you have then PM one of the Wanderer guys Comet. This information is in AYRS issue 55 "Trimarans 1965". There are articles about testing and Wanderer by Hedley. They also show the math miscalculation that let them think a cruising design would be stable in 300 knot winds! They are stable but remember to reef...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.