Has anybody built a Jon Boat?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by thudpucker, Dec 4, 2008.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

for something like that you don't really need plans. 2 1x12s for the sides plus 1 for the ends, a couple of sheets of ply, some PL Premium, drywall screws and paint. The blue one is 10 ft long, so I just measured up 6" on the side at the front, and measured back 36" and sprung a batten to give the bow curve. Use some scrap ply for a butt block at the joint and use lots of glue. Enjoy it for a few years then chuck it and build a new one if it isn't holding up.

Steve

2. kevinb

kevinb Junior Member

Well, I didn't use plans -- I'm just throwing together something that has a flat bottom, tapers slightly towards the front (because that seems a reasonably boat-like idea) and will fit in my garage.

But, not being very experienced in boat building, I can see why it might be nice to use plans for a tested and proven design. There's a lot (a heck of a lot) I don't know about boat design. For example, I'm not certain that the glue/screw joints between the hull base and sides won't come apart if I put my foot down heavily in the wrong place when it's in the water. I don't think they will come apart, but I'm not certain. And I'm not sure if the 1/4-inch ply I'm using for the base is really strong enough for the load I envisage (2 adults and 2 children + supplies). I've put additional ribs and skids in place to strengthen the bottom, but whether they're really necessary or not, I just don't know. I don't really know whether the transom (3/4 inch) is strong enough to support an outboard motor, even a small one.

This is kind of why I want to try it on the water before I put a lot of effort into finishing it off :) That way, if it collapses or sinks, I'll only have wasted a few hours and some scrap timber.

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Kelvin, dont worry about softs spots etc. Thats why you wear a PFD.
    I was in a plywood 19' that came apart as we were jumping waves in a lake.
    It didnt sink, the part with the motor attatched tried to sink but the control cable and fuel hose kept it attatched to part of the boat. No problem.

Lewis I like your idea. Quick, and Disposable.
    I may go after that. Mine's gonna be 12' with a 48" bottom. Similar to the 10' in the photo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.