Harley Emblem

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by firemantx, Mar 31, 2006.

1. firemantx

firemantx New Member

I have a 1991 Century 4500LX 23'. The red paint is the stock paint and while it still looks good for the age, I am re-painting it. I am going with a Harley-Davidson theme.

My question is, When I paint the Harley-Davidson emblem on both sides of the boat, will I commit a copyright vilation? I am under the belief that as long as it is for personal use and not for sale, it is allowed.

I have already visited www.copyright.gov and was unable to find my answer there. Any idea?? Thanks!!

Mike

2. hansp77

hansp77

Hey firemantrix
    as far as I know about copyright, which is not the greatest amount, you will probably be fine.
    1. Generally big companies will not bother to sue over this sort of thing unless they have something they can get out of you, something substantial, or unless you are getting something out of it in a way that is misrepresenting their company or something.
    2. In working as screenprinter and designer of t-shirts we used to always go with the good old 10% rule.
    that means that you change the design/logo by 10% and you theoretically are not infringing their copyright.
    As to what comprises 10%, well, there is your problem (if you have something that they can get out of you) and your solution (if you don't).
    Change a bit of colour, change a letter, change a few lines whatever. You can at least make an argument and the case is not clear cut.

the thing is I have never even found out if this 10% rule is actually true.
    Nonetheless, we have never had any problems with this sort of thing, and so long as your boat isn't commercial, I seriously doubt you would either..

3. firemantx

firemantx New Member

The boat is for just for fun.

I am looking to spice it up. I got a few harleys sitting in the garage and figured that would be a good theme for the boat. In my area I have only seen one black boat and it was a small fishing boat.

I am planing on a solid black hull with the huge harley emblem on both sides. The interior will be white, with harley emblems on the seats(Depends on how much money I got left), and will chrome out anything metal on the boat.

Of course I am still in the design/thinking phase

4. hansp77

hansp77

Sounds like fun.
    Maybe you could rig up a big pair of chopper handlebars instead of a steering wheel...

5. firemantx

firemantx New Member

that would be cool if I could swing it

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I doubt there would be a copyright problem- you're already a multi-Harley owner and the boat is for personal use. Don't quote me on that though. If I were you, I'd drop by the Harley dealer and ask their legal guy just to be sure.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Why don't you ask Harley Davidson? If they say no, well, too bad. But if they say yes, get it in writing and then you're all set. No one can say beans about it.

I usually use the old standby. It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission! But in a case where someone can sue you and you've already gone to a lot of expense and now have to hire a lawyer (Gakkkkk!) it's better to ask permission. Hey! They may like the free advertising! They might even want to use it in their promos. You never know.

Write them a nice letter with a photo of the boat and drawing of what it will look like with the Harley logo. Tell them this is not for any commercial purpose, that is, you're not making any money on it. Who Knows, they might even send you vinyl decals to put on the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.