Hacker-Maierform Midsection

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BTScow, May 3, 2007.

1. BTScow

BTScow Junior Member

I found the following in the recent edition of Classic Boating. I am hoping some one can speak to this hull form both in practice and in theory.

"The Maierform hull is one characterized byy lines desinged to offer the least possible water resistance while possessing excellent seagoing qualities...

"John Hacker who pioneered the wide chine, convex forefoot, showed that a deadrise of 25 dgrees or more as measured on a straight line from keel to chine, effectively changes impact to a snubbed deceleration. With the resultant dihedral angle of 130 degrees, a convex section entirely free of the impact type of pounding. The more nearly such a sectin is moved aft toward midships, the softer the ride becomes."

The article is conveluted and in my opinion not very well written. But, what I take away is that a convex hull form will ride smoother (with some sacrifice of dryness) up to a beam-length ratio of 3.5 . If this is the case, (and it wouln't be the first time I missed the boat on a theory) why do we not see more production boats employee this theroy?

Reference:Classic Boating, May/June 2007, Issue #137, pp. 16-17

Thank you,

BTScow

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

My guess is that the hullform was good compared to other designs of that time, but that we later have developed better solutions, maybe deeper V shapes with lots of power. Maybe we have to look back if we want to go fast with reasonable fuel economy?

3. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

I've worked by Maierform in Italy and Switzerland for 17 years...
    Mr. Maier has designed a hull shape with low resistance for ships and nothing to do with Hacker...this is a wellknown mistake from the son of Mr. Maier:D

4. BTScow

BTScow Junior Member

Ranchi,

Do I understand this correctly; your father is Mr. Maier? And Hacker adopted this form for the use in his boats? For the recored the article I referenced gives Mr. Maier credit as the patentee.

BTScow

5. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

Sorry, I have explained not very clear my meaning.

I have worket years long with Mr. Maier father and son, and when I have seen this article I have asked to him some additional informations.
    He said me that Maierform ship's hull shape and Hacker were two different things and it was for sure a mistake to put the two hull shape together..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.