GRP impact from storage cradle

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by delboy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. delboy

delboy New Member

Hi,
    I am new to the forum - a wealth of useful info. I would be grateful for advice on the attached image - just bought the boat, I was told...
    'Any loose flakes of antifouling were brushed off but otherwise no further paint removed - it would not be a good idea
    to remove the gel shield, primers, and existing coats of antifoul to expose the gelcoat unnecessarily. As stated, the
    hull appears undamaged and in generally good condition - only old underlying layers of antifoul are flaking off in this
    area which is subject to general abrasion from both the cradle and slings (when launching via crane) which work to
    loosen old paint.'
    Almost 'catch22', I am suspicious of the brown color base (gelshield 200 comes in green & gray) looks like resin to me? and if so what to do?

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It could be old paint, but judging by the thickness and general condition, you should consider knocking all that old paint off, at least back to well stuck paint, feather out the irregularities and repaint. This is a nasty job and hazardous, so protect your self.

3. delboy

delboy New Member

Thank you - I will keep you updated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.