Goota love the Afgan sense of sensibilities

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by watchkeeper, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Can't argue with that.

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

You just covering all the bases michael?

Or are you saying that a "righteous, violent, military power like America" can pursue intervention into a countries internal affairs in certain circumstances?
    Like the ones we found there in 01 for instance?

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes, many of us are aware of that. I have had the opportunity to mix with many U.S Marines, mostly officers and were admirable.

Yet I have met many that were not officers and were Damn frightening.

Psychotic murderer that loved to tell me how he killed and looked into their eyes as they died. An experience that i'lle never forget as I chatted about his home town in Mexico until the bus stopped and I could get off. I was afraid of my every word. An absolute maniac.

The Black Marine that slit the throat of a Thai girl in a bar to get the gold around here neck to buy more beer. He was whipped away immediately by the military police and taken to the ship in minutes. The girl died. I did not see this but many locals did.

I could go on--

Oh --you may like to know that the Nimitz has ghettos that even the Capt can not go to,-- and I was told way back in the 90's as I chatted with a marine that told me the post office on the Nimitz was robbed 3 times from Singapore to Bangkok.

Now where we we oh,---- military discipline !!!!!

5. michael pierzga

The situation in Afghanistan required the removal of international terrorist cells.

Negotiations failed to dislodge them so The terrorists were flattened in a legitimate self defense action.

This removal of terrorist cells was successful but unfortunately the US decided to remake Afghanistan into a forward base of operations in the region.

This was a disaster. American influence ,plus foriegn boots on the ground is interference in Afghanistan's and the regions internal affairs . It will never work.

Everyday they are telling you this.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I hope you aren't trying to suggest the two men you describe were typical US Marines. Because I served (and partied) with a whole lot of them, and I've known a lot of Marine veterans since -- and I don't remember a single psychotic murderer, or anyone who slit women's throats to steal their jewelry.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. michael pierzga

Gee Troy...its obvious that all ex Marines are not violent criminals...just as its obvious that not all Taliban are head choppers.

But you can be assured that young soldiers returning from war are having a very difficult time adjusting to civil life. Crime rates are high and Something like 30 percent of homeless people are veterans.

http://www.standown.org/homeless.html

The issue is so concerning that 800 million dollars has been allocated to study and find treatment for physiologically damaged veterans.

8. Roly

Roly Senior Member

"Oh --you may like to know that the Nimitz has ghettos that even the Capt can not go to,-- and I was told way back in the 90's as I chatted with a marine that told me the post office on the Nimitz was robbed 3 times from Singapore to Bangkok."

Evidence to back this up please or it just another anecdote.

9. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

No, none among the ANZACs I served with but there were some who did things that they wouldn't tell the families and other among our allies that did much worse and we understood why.

I talked with my father once about what we do at war, he flew bombers with RNZAF 75 Sqd on 2 tours in Europe before transferring to Pacific campaign. He never saw his enemy but he suffered huge remorse for what he had to do, because he was from a different era.

10. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Thanks Michael- my impression of Afghanistan is one of going in, getting a decent start then starving the campaign of men and material as we pursued that fiasco in Iraq.
    I do see that we have established bases which are perhaps not commensurate the current mission. But a forward base of operations there?
    Isn't Obama pledging to pull all troops by 2014?

11. beachcraft

beachcraft Junior Member

Will a volunteer army have a higher percentage of violent morally-chaotic people than one where people are forced in against their will? Maybe.

But there have always been bad people and this is way down the list of bad people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_crimes#1914-1918:_World_War_I
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_crimes_during_World_War_II#1939-1945_World_War_II

I could never kill another man without regretting it the rest of my life.

12. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

But wait, there's more...CLICKEY

people suck

13. beachcraft

beachcraft Junior Member

14. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

A war like Afghanistan isn't about defeating a foreign nation. It's about leaving a stable country with a responsible government that can defend itself against enemies domestic and foreign. It's about leaving the enemy morally bankrupt and without the support of the populace. its about giving people a safe place to live and allowing them to take their place among the nations of the World with pride. It's about displaying a contrast between a murderous obsession over arbitrary rules made up by religious fanatics centuries ago and the humane treatment of people. It's about educating all people so they have equal opportunity to contribute to their culture and future.

It’s not about desecrating the dead, not anyone’s dead, not theirs and not ours. I remember dead American soldiers being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu by Somalis.

Defend one act and you defend both . . .

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ive lived here a long time and seen many marines Im just telling what I have seen how could I possible make any other such claim .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.