Goin' old 5k001!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dreamer, Sep 11, 2005.

1. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

'5k001' means School in case you're not hip to the scene... ;)

I'm looking for a drafting machine. I've one a little research and would like some feedback on the types of machines other old schoolers might be using.

When I went to school, I recall that the plebes had to use the drafting 'arm' while the upper classes used the 'track' style.

I know some of you out there still use your machines. I'd be interested on which you prefer. I seem to recall the arm-style was hard to keep tuned.

Thanks,

Rick

2. Packeteer

Packeteer Junior Member

pencil + ruler ftw

if you really want a large drafting board be prepared to shell out the big $$

otherwise stick with the cheap A3 size plastic boards

3. dreamer

dreamer Soñadora

My large drafting board will be made from a hollow-core door. Definitely not 'big $$'.

An A3 board definitely is not going to cut it.

4. Packeteer

Packeteer Junior Member

well good luck getting it together

maybe talk to some drafting houses for sources of hardware

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

dreamer,
    When I studied design at college, we were not allowed to use "Drafting machines" as they were not considered accurate enuogh to draw even the grid for a lines plan. Use a good 60" stainless straight-edge, and a good, reliable ruler (30" is good). Do it REALLY old skool :)
    Steve (old...)

6. yipster

yipster designer

had several drafting tables and machines, i prefered the "track" type.
    place an ad for a used machine and you find old good and expensive ones for a whistle.

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I'm a fan of a set of good scale rulers and a long clear straight-edge, although I wouldn't object to a nice track machine.... then again my style is to use paper for sketches and rough lines only, and do the actual plans on Rhino/Autocad. But there's a lot of people looking to get rid of the old cumbersome beasts now they've moved to digital, so put out an ad and you'll prolly get a few.

8. Michael Chudy

Michael Chudy Yacht Designer

Dreamer,
    Straight edges, t-squares and triangles will get you where you need to go really well. That's how I did it for a while and had no problems. But a 30" VEMCO arm type drafting machine that will set you back $600 is worth it and is incredibly accurate. I've not had any problems with it, nor have a number of other draftsmen I know. They also make doing angles so easy. If you can find an old K&E you'd like the very light feel that they have, but I doubt that anyone who has one is going to give it up. The track type are fine, but get in the way of battens and ducks. Talking about innacuracy, be sure to draw on Mylar rather than Vellum. The paper changes shape drastically with temperature and humidity. I've noticed 1/16" differences in dimensions on good quality Vellum from morning to night in a room with afternoon sun. You won't get that with Mylar. It is very stable. You'll have to take more care in keeping the film clean as it smudges easier than Vellum, but the Magic Rub and other white vinyl type of erasers do a good job and don't take off the top layer like some of the harder erasers. Have fun!
    Michael

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I got a used 48" parallel rule drafting table with spring controled tilt attached to a 5 drawer metal desk for $10. My friends printing shop he worked at had 6 arm type drafting machines with desks for $50 apiece. I'm under the impression they are 'outdated' and are gathering dust all over the place. Ask around. Sam

10. yipster

yipster designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.