Global Warming? are humans to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Do you believe

1. Global Warming is occuring as a direct result of Human Activity.

106 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. IF Gloabal Warming is occurring it is as a result of Non-Human or Natural Processes.

99 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

By proving another one of your biased sources is tainted, hardly. Just setting the record straight about where we should be getting our information from concerning climate change. Opinion Rags rather than scientific articles in your case. Thats all. If its important for you to believe in the uninformed opinion pieces rather than the authors of countless peer reviewed works then fine. But lets not mistake the BS from the Realclimate.

That article I quoted has some of the most famous names in climate science behind it. Yours was just more denialist diatribe from some opinion rag well known for its denialist leanings

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well you got that one right, most of what you say is simply "Blah"

The reality of climate change is unfortunately not a very pleasant reality. But its one we need to at least face if we are to survive it. Ignoring the issue won't make it go away.

four out or four climate change studies have concluded that climate change is occurring, Even this last one funded by the climate deniers themselves.

4. hoytedow

Warmer weather means more food. Humans didn't cause it. God did. Be thankful.

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

actually warmer weather means less food, humans definitely caused it when we dug up and burned all that fossil fuels. And I'm very thankful we have this opportunity to inform the readers as to why its so important to do something about it ASAP

I got a great poster from a friend recently that seems appropriate for that gwod comment, assuming you were "created" with a sense of humor.

something else that means less food is genetic modification. Apparently the little creepy crawlies that genetic modification was supposed to kill off isn't working very well any more. Matter of fact the crops are killing all the worst insects competitors leaving the crop eating ones to flourish on all that food. Results in total loss of the crops in some areas. And the problem is spreading. whats Monsanto going to do now, eh. Go nuclear ?

6. RayThackeray

RayThackeray Senior Member

Boston, forget it. You can't convince someone that their floating-invisible-imaginary-friend-in-the-sky isn't in control no matter what you say.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

no but you can put it in perspective

[​IMG]

the problem is that some folks are waaaaayyyyyy sensative about there religion and have trouble with the idea of humor. As if we all don't bear our share of the jokes around here. My theory is if someone wants to bring up religion then its fair game.

[​IMG]

I'm never really trying to convince Hoyt of anything, obviously the term fossilized covers it. But it is a great opportunity to show the readers why he's so far off base the vast majority of the time.

Of course most of its just recycling stuff we've been over before but then again if its at the forward or trailing edge of the thread then I suppose its more likely to be read by our first time readers

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok lets stick to the subject, are humans to blame.

a resounding "YES THEY CERTAINLY ARE" would be the correct answer

9. hoytedow

Arrrgh! not!

Attached Files:

10. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Everyone who believes that is welcome to emigrate to a desert and put it to the test . . .

11. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

You know the most ironic part of this whole situation is the planet doesn't care, it will recover (whatever that may look like) it's the inhabitants that are screwed. We are the ones that live close to sea level and will/are suffer(ing) the consequences. I just think it's kinda funny. I'm convinced we are the stupidest species on the planet.

-Tom

12. hoytedow

I must agree. As to warm weather causing deserts, you couldn't be more wrong.

Mountain ranges blocking prevailing winds cause deserts. Adiabatic cooling of rising air mass removes moisture from air depriving area downwind of mountain from water. The cold deserts of the Andes and Mongolia are a result of this; colder yet drier.

13. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Maybe the attached belongs on the joke thread!

Art. 11 starts in a very interesting way :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well Hoyt I gotta give you consistency, wrong again. but always an opportunity to spread the word. As the earth warms the desert areas are measurably expanding

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/08/19/desert-expansion.html

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/expanding-deserts-by-land-and-sea/

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7503387_deserts-expanding.html

there is study after study and article after article all showing that the warming planet results in expanding desert conditions both above and below the water.

your dead wrong on this one as well Hoyt, but again its a great opportunity to inform the readers who are interested in how our planet is reacting to our presence

We have a lot of work to do if we are to survive the upcoming events surrounding our warming planet. I just hope we can collectively agree to do that work before the dreaded tipping point is reached. Thus far all parameters are falling into "worst case" categories, which does not bode well for our future.

15. hoytedow

Whatever. Neither of us covered all possible causes. You just can't say one factor is responsible for all of it. Besides, the big winter is coming and the ice caps will take even more of the water out of circulation. You will miss your fossil fuels then, cursing your solar/wind powered heater for coming up short.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.