Glassing/welding custom rod holders

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Lil John, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Lil John

Lil John New Member

First-time poster here so my apologies if I am posting this question in the wrong forum. I am the owner of a 2005 Boston Whaler 170 Montauk and do quite a bit of off-shore trolling in and around the Marianas Islands. We are lucky enough to have extremely deep (10,000ft+) water very close to shore and fairly calm seas much of the year. Due to this, people here can get out and catch trophy blue water fish in much smaller boats.

I am attempting to fabricate (or have it fabricated) a rod holder "system" which will hold two short bent-butt 80lb class rods for Blue Marlin fishing. The stress these holders will be subjected to is fairly extreme as you can likely imagine. Most boaters would simply install quality gunnel-mount holders (with backing plates) and be done with it. The trouble for my application is, due to the construction of the Whaler Montauk, gunnel-mount rod holders cannot be used. To mount rod holders, your only option for the "stock" hull is to use clamp-on holders to the side rails. These work just fine for lighter tackle where you fight fish stand-up style but for bent-butts where you leave the rod in the holder and fight the fish from there, rail mounts are a no-go.

It is no problem getting just about any design of aluminum or stainless rod holder "system" made from a variety of sources. The real problem in my application is how to mount it to the skin of the hull. I have toyed with the idea of thru-drilling the transom and bolting a large plate on....which then could have a series of pipes and rod holders welded to that. While this would be structurally sound for my application, it would place the fishing rod in the extreme aft section of the boat with the rod tip extending 3-4' out over the water beyond the transom. It would be impossible to "leader" fish into the boat like this. I need to come up with a design which would place the rod holders up closer to the helm. In my mind, it seems as though I need to come up with a way of glassing in a an extra wood-reinforced "section" on both sides of the boat which could then be used to mount high-strength rod holders.

Essentially what I have here is a boat which was never designed to be an off-shore fishing machine - but it is being used for that very purpose. Buying a better suited boat for my purposes is not in the cards now, I must use this boat and come up with a way of modifying it without turning it into an ugly "hack" job. Some would say its next to impossible to do what I am thinking of with this boat but I know there is way from a design and fabrication standpoint. I just need to harness those ideas and try and turn them into reality. Thank you very much for any insight you can provide.