Getting Out Of The Box With Hot Air

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Questor, Sep 2, 2010.

1. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

If that was true - which I think is extremely optimistic calculation. You could have 2 fit people rowing this said motorsailer. Or you could have just a few solar panels.

However 200w at prop sounds more like kayak scale boat powering than 25ft motorsailor. Also 40% efficiency for electric motor and gearbox is wayy low - no reason why it couldn't be in the 80s for chain or belt plus efficient motor in efficient rpm range.

Why do they put 27hp engines on these boats if one hp would do?

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

I am sure they have a contract with the industry to sell overpowered craft to the uninformed!

Our scientists here are not so dumb to buy proven systems! They know better.
    Throw a pebble in a pond, you will know what I mean.........:D

3. Questor

Questor Senior Member

I've grown accustomed to counter clerks that fall over in hysterical laughter when I present some of my technical questions to them. Many of them ask me to come again on a slow day to bring more humor to their lives. Occasionally the clerks come to attention during their laughter because an out of the box proposition is actually viable. There have also been times when one of them calls back a few days later with a better out of the box proposition that arose when a counter clerk brought up the allegedly idiotic question over lunch with his fellow workers for a laugh. I've come to accept that every truly gifted scientist has to tolerate occasional failure and ridicule as they challenge erroneous conventional thinking and popular assumptions.

The question of the probability of system leakage being greater than trickle charging of the air tank has been considered. I've watched oxygen and acetylene tanks being filled. It is a very slow process due to the risk of fracture that accompanies haste .Those tanks are filled indoors without significant leakage. Significant leakage could blow up the facility in which the bottles are filled and stored.

4. Questor

Questor Senior Member

The air powered boat is looking more feasible with every new found discovery. I had grossly over guesstimated the size of compressor and electrical power needed to achieve 300 Bar pressure. The Alt. 80 -2.2 S compressor uses only a maximum of 2200 watts of power and weighs only 85 pounds. With further research there may be smaller ones than that available. With a wind and wave powered first stage lower pressure air compressor to drive the Alt intermittently this should work out.

Never underestimate the infinite potential of small waves nor the intelligence and determination of the Noble Penguin. Their powers of inspiration are immeasurable .

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Yes, Questor a daily dose of laughter is what some of us live for. Quite honestly I am rather board and enjoy the really dumb things people say around here. So keep coming. I just wish they would actually do some of the stuff and share the video. Trust us a lot of us have tried this stuff before. I tried an air power bow thruster since I have a large air tanks and compressor on board anyway. Air (with very little mass) is basically useless against water (high mass). It takes a lot of air to move water and yes I know about air lifts. Thats is what I have compressors on board for. Still a 90 hp compressor putting out 185 cfm of air only generates 15 hp of thrust, if that, no matter how you rig it.

6. Questor

Questor Senior Member

I think compressed air has a lot more potential than I originally visualized. Consider the possibility of air powered intermittent ferry service that is fueled by a large windmill on the docks of a polluted city. It could return air to atmosphere in better condition than it was prior to entering the system.There is also the possibility of using gaseous pollutants in closed systems that alternate between pressurization and vacuum tanks. It would be a great way to store pollutants for future use when technology allows their utilization.

Another possibility to consider is compressed pollutants that break down into more desirable compounds when used together as energy sources. Many industries may well know how to break down their pollutants but haven't bothered to due to management of technology issues.

When all else fails idiocy is the mother of invention.

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

So, then,

how do you polish up these 2200 watts to 22000 watts required to propel your little sailboat?

Witchcraft?

Take care when introducing your developments to the industry.

If I have such encounters of the seventh dimension I manage to get the inventor taken away from my office in a non smoker suit!

[​IMG]

8. Questor

Questor Senior Member

Most recreational watercraft are under power for less than 2 hours per week.That means you have the rest of the week to trickle charge your compressed air tank.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Whith what?

Where does your energy come from? You do not understand that there is no free meal in maritime business!

10. Questor

Questor Senior Member

There are many free meals in Marine Business. I once had all the hot dogs, hamburgers, potato chips, pop, coffee and juice I could drink and eat at a boat dealership open house.

In the rush to judgment many victims of orthodoxy overlook the viabilities that are staring them in the face.

11. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I must frequent better boat dealers than you. At the last Boat show Caterpillar was giving shrimp, caviar, beer and wine, but it still wasn't free. Someone had to pay and it had a cost. Your installed windmill will cost $200k to replace $500 worth of fuel. It will need maintenance and it will be a hazard in a storm. The whole system your proposing is expensive, non-portable, unreliable and not cost effective. Oh by the way think of all the carbon fuel needed to build and transport the whole thing.

Once you understand the law of conservation of matter and energy you will understand your free lunch is costing someone else a lot.

12. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

IF you want to try something more efficient look into steam power. I can't fit in my boat, and I don't like boilers. But may be my next boat.

13. Questor

Questor Senior Member

I assume you are carrying on from the ferry example I gave earlier. If a ferry owner built a $200,000 windmill, the profits earned from surplus energy sales would probably pay off the entire costs of his alternative energy concept for the ferry.

Last night I was surprised to learn that many wind farm owners are looking into storing compressed air in their turbine towers as a means of storing energy to be released during peak energy demand periods. They calculate an energy loss of 25% to compression and decompression but that is offset by getting 4 times as much money for peak hour demand sales versus worst case off peak sales. They would be doing us all a favor if they used gaseous pollutants from other industries within closed systems of alternating vacuum and decompression.

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Send your wind farmers back to school. Or better, send them to Germany, there they could learn a lot about energy storage, from the market leaders in alternative energy production and supply.
    They could learn about redox flow systems for example, or water pump reservoir to make it simple (in the end they are just farmers, you know).

Your dumb idea has a total of 80 to 85% lost energy from source to motor!
    That is never ever balanced by anything. But lets assume it would be, it remains to be the dumbest approach of energy storage one can think of.

Go ahead dream on......

over and out

15. Questor

Questor Senior Member

I'm actually quite excited about redox flow systems. I'll be testing their local market accessability this week.

The most wonderful thing about think tanks is the laughter that arises from spontaneous expression as geniuses make fools of each other.The spontanaety of the experience is why corporations use them as a means of provoking thought and discovery.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.