Genius behind boat details

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sail0r86, Jul 27, 2006.

1. sail0r86

sail0r86 New Member

Hello I'm new to this forum, and wondering if any or some of you have the expertise to help me.

I personally think highly of small details the designer put into objects, like buildings, or cars, and of course boats. I think Meisien architecture ideal goes something like this; 'elegant details is what makes beautiful buildings'.

Likewise, I am looking for images of details in boats. Details like joints between different elements, how they are connected, in what shapes. Photos, axonometric drawings, sections, elevations, drawings that expresses the designer's thoughts, and make us exclaim 'ah this drawing/photo clearly tells me that this designer used this junctioning system, and used certain shapes, arranged them in a certain way because he wanted to achieve such functionality/aesthetic beauty. How ingenius!'

...except I can't find much T_T. To be honest, I should consider myself 'noob' in boat designs, only encountered it last week and have been quite interested by it.

I would so appreciate if you would be kind enough to help me where to find these photos/drawings (possibly with explanations :p ) if you do know where to find them. Or if you are really passionate about ingenius thinkings behind boat details, and there were these few boat details that you thought 'I must tell the world about this! This is just too good!' maybe you could share with me :D

Thank you~

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

3. sail0r86

sail0r86 New Member

That's pretty fast looking boat o_0

I don't know much about engines but the bottom shape of the boat was the most interesting part

http://www.vandamwoodcraft.com/frames/scan5.jpg

I guess I'm looking for traditional wooden sailing boat, not one of those high tech modern ones ^_^

thanks for the pics anyway!

4. sail0r86

sail0r86 New Member

over 90 views and one reply...was there something wrong with what I've wrote?

o well thanks kerosene

5. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

The details in a traditional wooden sailing boat were put in by the ships carpenter/boatwright, not the designer. The designer would draw in a curved coaming...how the coaming was built was up to the shipwright. How fancy/complicated the jointer work was depends on where/when/and to who the shipwright apprenticed as well as time available and cost standard the vessel was built to. If the shipwright had lots of time and money, he might try something fancy...otherwise just use a locked shiplap and cut a bead. Basic joints in the hull structure were the same; i.e. what was the local custom and what was the intended use. See Charles Desmond, Wooden Shipbuilding, for a sample of some the structural/outfitting details used at the turn of the last century (1900).

Remember that anyone can design and build a boat, after all, it's older than baseball. What seperates the good from the so-so and bad, is the details of the design. Those are the only things a Naval Architect, designer, or boatwright has to sell. To learn those, you have to serve your apprenticeship, one way or another.

6. sail0r86

sail0r86 New Member

haha, sorry. Ok, shipwright then, I thought designers were ultimately the architects of traditional wooden boat.

And yea, maybe people won't just hand you the details that they use to feed themselves, you have to earn those I guess :/

Thanks for replying anyway.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.