Gasoline shelf life?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by gerard baladi, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

CDK
    We have fundamental agreement here. I would never dispose of fuel other than through the process it was intended for.

The issue with the lawn mower was with a 4-stroke and not related to the carby being dry. You will certainly experience harder starting if you leave petrol sit around in a container that breathes through an Australian summer or two. Again I would not dispose of it; rather just put it in the car.

Some people, one of my sons included, are anal about use-by dates. I have seen him dump perfectly good biscuits because they exceeded the use-by date by a few days. Can you ever imagine buying a can of fuel with a use-by date. I think we are being somewhat "precious" thinking about disposing of it after 6 months.

Clearly your Porche is a wonder machine being able to run on outdated fuel!!! Maybe you can hang on to and just use outdated fuel that others are trying to discard. Just offer to take the outdated fuel off their hands at no cost. Now that's a nice con.

Rick W

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Any tank has to be vented -ie open to atmosphere. Boats cars every thing. Its very difficult not to have one, try screwing down the lid on the outboard tank and leave it in the sun, see what shape the tank is when you get back.

It can be a simple hole in the petrol cap itself or a more complicated system through a charcoal cannister,--gotta have a vent.

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I simply do not leave it in the sun. Even outboard tanks you screw the breather down and store it in the shade. No risk what so ever. Even satisfactory for a small polyethylene tank. Diesel is no issue at all.

Rick W

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Several of our holidays guests, especially Germans, give me the unused gasoline they bought for their outboards, because they've read in the newspapers that it goes bad.

Btw, the car has leaded premium-98 in its tank, very hard to get these days.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.