Gaff Masts - replace timber with aluminium

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Two Bob Peter, Sep 16, 2021.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If 2/3 of the mast height is 40 feet, a 180 lbs crew will create a moment of 7200 ft/lbs (about 7200 Nm) at 1G acceleration. Even at a more moderate rolling, say .3 G it is quite considerable.

2. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

The error in that calculation is is the 1G acceleration, and even 0.3g. The way to do it would be to start with the current oscillation frequency and use that to calculate the acceleration, or better yet energy.

The current period is likely over 4s. I would guess more like 0.2g or 1440 ft.lb at a +/- 20 amplitude.
    Tell a typical sailor you can take that much weight out of his rig and his first words will be "make it taller".

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Having work aloft many times, I thing that 0.3G is conservative. The easiest way to calculate it would be to know the period and amplitude.

4. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Agreed.
    I think it just feels like like more, and any fool that says less gets the job of going up the mast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.