Future of the anchor design

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Drago, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

What am I missing here? Drago posts #28, an excerpt from a magazine,which states the XYZ anchor wouldn't set in sand and asks for comments? Is he promoting the anchor or not?

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18514&d=1201741586

As it happens, I made my choice some time ago. The genuine, the superior, the often copied, but never equaled, ROCNA!!!!! Go NZ!!

http://www.rocna.com/main.php?secti...=0&PHPSESSID=8a1a472deb6eb4e93d6ee2d546fc92e9

But then, I'm not stupid. Yah yah, yah yah, yah! :p :p :p :p :p :p

I got up too early!

Pericles

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Missy Lee this thread! No doubt 'tis the same numptie who ails us all, was my turn again is all! But it is annoying.......

Pericles, there are many and varied types of anchor, some good some bad some indifferent! All have different characteristics is different bottoms, it behoves a good 'cruiser' to have several different ones to suit the bottom in the area of choice as and when you get to it!

The problem here is the fact that this Dago (is that spelt right?) has stated his anchor is brilliant in sand and mud -nothing else matters!! That's it!! But it would appear that its all talk he cannot substantiate the claim in sand let alone anything else, not that according to him any other bottom matters!!

That's his problem, but he won't be selling many anchors that way!!

3. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Safe,

The Rocna hooks up, no trubs, bruv! I think you'll be impressed with their videos. Boostedyourrep! All one word.:p

Bugger! You've had too many from me. I'll try again after spreading my largess wide.

Pericles

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  4. safewalrus

Pericles, yep the video looks impressive must look further into it! Liked the er, misuse of English! Impressed!

1 person likes this.
  5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

After all this, I still come back to my favourite anchors.... the "3 bags of concrete poured into an old car tire" and the "100-dollar, 500-kg block of cheap reinforced concrete". That last one has more holding power per dollar than anything else I've seen.

At the end of the day, I don't see how spending $300-$500 on a light anchor that only works in a few bottoms is worth it. I'd rather spend $200 each on two very different and much heavier anchors that, between them, will handle the vast majority of conditions (and can be used together when you don't want to drift 50 m the other way when the wind changes).

1 person likes this.

6. safewalrus

Agree Marshmat as a famous American (can't remember who, could have been 'Pete' Culler) once said "a lightweight steam roller can't do the job" seems to fit ideally here