Future of the anchor design

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Drago, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Yes Drago, I read both. I was actually trying to post the link to pratical sailor earlier, but I lost my internet. Ill try to find it again.

Once again, Ill say that you may very well have a product that is better then the CQR plow in mud and soft sand. Pratical sailor said this as well. But it is NOT the one anchor for all conditions. The one in which Safewalrus and maself were talking about specifically was hard ground and rocks. I dont see your anchor as a replacement for these conditions versus an oldfashion, or fishermen anchor.

No I have not tested your anchor. I buy anchors for several boats here on the west coast of the US and I recommend products to a lot of my clients. At the moment Im not convinced you have the CQR beat. Ill wait untill someone with more intestinal fotitude gives your anchor a try in heavy weather and writes a review before Im willing to even consider it.

K9

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Why??

I suppose that when it comes down to it the ultimate test is on a lee shore in a raging gale - when somebody gets caught in that situation, but NOT on a sandy bottom (not all the world has a sandy bottom you know) and lives to tell the tale I might just pay attention until then the final test comes into play

WHO will buy the thing

I KNOW I WON'T!:mad:

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its pretty normal for cruising yachts to have a choice of anchors ,--at least two different types of their choice, a plow and a Bruce is popular,-- actually on the bowsprit ready for use.
    Further tucked away Im sure you will find a Fishermans folded in the lazzarette

Some may even carry more as the bottoms around the world vary. As I live in mud in the Malacca straits a plow will do everything everyday. I very rarely anchor in deeper than 3 meters.

What is it they say "horses for courses"

Trying to make one anchor do all is pointless and probably impossible.

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Excactamente!
    As I said earlier I'm willing to purchase one XYZ if it's supreme in sand, which so far is only a claim, wheather it's worth a wetted log or not in other circumstances.

5. safewalrus

I'm sticking to me 'ouse brick on a bit o string!

6. masalai

masalai masalai

How about a "bit of string" attached to a brick house Safie? Ooops :D

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I don't know why sand is considered to be the perfect bottom. A sandy beach is mostly difficult to get into. I have given up on some occasions trying to get the anchor in and radioed a nearby ship and asked for permission to tie up to her for the night.---No not a moving one!!! one parked!!

On a very calm night I had the same problem and purposely dumped the lot in a pile just to hold the boat in position for a while. Didnt get much sleep.

Ive heard of some guys diving down with a shovel and burry them, but he was Australian.
    What I have done is leave it a few hours to settle in and then pull,- that works sometimes. This is with the plow ofcourse a bruce would have been a better choice for those situations.

Glutinous sandy mud is the best stuff.

8. safewalrus

After several wives and girlfriens I can assure you it isn't, no where near:p

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Precisely Safie, were you reading my deleted post whilst I was editing frosty's #37 above? It got toooo sick/degenerate/sexy for publication (just by adding alternate meanings to some of the phrases/words) :p:p:p:D

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sick people!!

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Does that mean that you too are a "sick people"? in that the multiple meaning item was your text:D:p

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes sir:p :p :p

13. safewalrus

To the person who gave me negative points - better negative points for killing a discussion than killing someone for the negative use of something inadequate! Now go take some more but have the guts to say who - COWARD!

1 person likes this.
  14. masalai

masalai masalai

What thread Safie?

I have been the victim of the phantom red pointer. I gave again in that thread and called the gutless swine, but said idiot did not come forward. Others have been done also. It would be well to be rid of those fools...

Frosty, admitted to giving me a red dot, but I think that was a shaky hand & booze?? - does he drink? or pretend? :D. The lad has become quite mellow of late - must be having too much fun to care about distant ****-heads?:D:D:D

15. masalai

masalai masalai