Fuel Tank Rollover Protection

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Kevin Turner, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Kevin Turner

Kevin Turner New Member

Long time lurker, please excuse my first post being a question.

As I understand it, grade-vent-rollover valves must be used to protect delicate charcoal canisters. However, what if the vessel is not equipped with a charcoal canister?

In addition, I have read that in certain applications, the ABYC requires builders to use rollover fuel tank valves. However, I have not found definitive proof that the US EPA and/or the USCG requires them also?

Thanks in advance for your replies...KT

2. Kevin Turner

Kevin Turner New Member

EPA does not require rollover valves.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

The USCG does not require rollover valves either.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

If you've rolled over your boat, you likely have bigger issues to contend with, other than a fuel spill. What is your concern with this?

5. Kevin Turner

Kevin Turner New Member

Ike-
    Thx for the reply.

Par-
    I'm in complete agreement. / I'm a small Midwestern (USA) builder; in business for over 20 years. During that time, I cannot recall a seemingly simple task being more frustrating than updating my fuel tanks to meet the EPA Diurnal / anit spit back regs.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to the EPA / USCG regs, I think they make perfect sense.

What I am opposed to is the vendors who have fed me a line of BS as to what and what is not required by law. I've wasted thousands of dollars on installs that could have been much simpler and cost effective.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.