Fuel tank placement, planing cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by moondog84, Feb 18, 2013.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

The center of gravity can still be achieved by placing suitable tanks sealed from the inside of the hull at strategic points just as low as a keel tank (many are not very low anyway) to balance the boat. Design is the crucial factor. Why compromise the complete safety of the boat on just one design factor which can be changed for a safer boat? Fuel tanks do not stay at departure weight.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, there are fires and explosions, but again, these aren't very common occurrences. I've investigated many burned up boats for insurance companies and here in Florida, we have a much higher percentage than most places, but it's still a very small percentage, in regard to the number of events, compared to folks just enjoying their gasoline power craft without incident.

I don't need to Google any burning boat pictures, Ive seen well more than 99% of the boaters of the world. The pictures also aren't going to tell me anything except that things burn. What I have learned from these investigations is, it's the skipper or owner that's usually at fault when the fire occurs and crew are aboard. It's faulty electrical systems on the other hand, when the boat is unattended.

If the insurance companies try to push "safe fuel storage" thing, they'll have to lobby for legislation, which will come hesitantly, as the manufacturing side of things will rail at the production cost mandates. Even if the insurance companies do manage to get some legislation through, they'll happily pocket profits, rather than return savings to their clients. Of course, at the same time, the manufactures will pass on the new regulation effects on their products, so new boats will cost more.

3. 805gregg

805gregg Junior Member

I have a Skipjack 262 26' boat and I have a 1991 160 gallon fuel tank, directly in front of my engine, perfectly safe and very efficent. No worrys about fire. You have to remember in NZ they have a goverment that won't allow a common home owner to buy house wireing, only a licensed electrical contractor may buy wire, gov protection is out of control, nanny gov. We in the US don't have to worry about that we have the second admendment.

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

During early times in nz you could do almost anything then we were getting visiter and then more visitors and most didnt want to leave till now when i get off the plane when i go home i think i got off at the wrong place , Theres all these people all colours and shapes and sizes all living there . and they really dont know anything so a simple task like wiring where any genuine kiwi could do and would never have to worry we have all these half baked imports with one brain in every plane load living there .
    You should try to build a new house or be self employed . Its all stupidity If you now want to find a kiwi person they are mostly over seas or out in the country side on farms But even thats changing !! :(

5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Generally you guys are right about NZ we did have nanny governments that followed other countries now we have a government that wants to give everything to consultants and overseas buyers. I wonder if we have helped the thread maker in any way.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Kiwi blokes have always been inventers , if you didnt make you went without !!

Join the inventers society !!
    There are still a few inventers and people making things in the garage at home . I was amazed !! Mind you that was some time ago .
    The good old kiwi garage is the blokes kingdom, his home within and away from home . when you shut the door on the world and turn on the light its like fantasy land where there are piled up all over the place a hundred partly finished and just stared dreams . I used to have trouble getting in the door there was so much stuff every where . in boxs , under the work bench hanging on the wall covering the windows etc etc . Over the years there have been some amazing thing been thought up by kiwi blokes . Our closet neighbours are a couple of thousand kms away so the not going to paddle across the ditch and breakin to your man cave and steal any secrets . Like i mentioned if you want to find kiwi's you have to look overseasfor them . they plasetered every where . In my day and age sir Peter Blake . Sir Edmond Hillary , I remember standing doing some glassing on a small dinghy will Grant Dalton watching on !! not forgetting some of the sailing teams that really stamped there mark and are still holding ground to this very day Russel Coutts and his drive push and persistance has taken the cup challenge to a whole new dimenion . lets not stray to far and the man that scooted up and down rivers in ankle deep water in his wee JET boat and became Hamilton jets . Epiglass founded in A mans garage in west Auckland , Then we habe racing cars and Bruce MAClarren Not only a worlclass driver but producer od racing cars !!
    Go down and back in time ,products and things we use everyday in every way came from blokes and there garages
    My fater was in inventer and could turn is hand to anything at all , was a self taught welder gas or electric , was a self taught mechanic and in all my i only ever once saw him come close to being stumped on one small motor but didnt take to long and he knew exactly what the problem was so sorted it perfectly !!. .

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Kiwi`s have always been good at pinching good ideas too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.