Fuel injected outboards

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by wet-foot, Mar 2, 2006.

1. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

Does Yamaha or Honda make fuel injected ob's in the 50 to 100 hp range?
    Also, is there much difference in fuel economy between the 2 and 4 strokes, how about weight and durability? Thx in advance. PS; anyone out there with a good used unit for sale or best place to find one?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The modern 2 and 4 strokes are all emmision compliant. This forced the redesing of the 2 stroke making them more efficient than the 4 stroke. They have less moving parts which makes them have less friction and weight.

3. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Two Strokes V Four Strokes

Here at Explorer Marine in Devon UK - www.explorermarine.co.uk - we build RIBs and fit either fuel injected Suzuki four strokes or ETEC fuel injected two stroke Evinrudes.

We find the fuel consumption of two strokes is slightly ( 2 to 5 %) LOWER than the four strokes. However the two strokes are much better in the mid range, for acceleration and speed of reaction while wave jumping.

Four strokes are quieter and smoother at idle.

On maintenance, the two strokes are easier and cheaper, but you have to look where your local dealer is...

Good Boating
    Hugh Mattos
    C.E.M.I.Mech.E.

4. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

fuel injected OB's

I do lean towards the 2 strokes for simplicity. Who if any makes the best fuel injected OB in the 50 to 115hp range?

5. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Best Two Stroke Engines...

Coming from Canada you should not need to ask!

Evinrude - part of BRP Canada - make the best engines for reliability and sheer fun.

Have a look at www.evinrude.com and see for yourself, or better still phone your dealer and ask for a demo.

The sound and excitement of ETEC must be tested to be believed.

Good Boating
    Hugh Mattos
    www.explorermarine.co.uk

6. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

mid range OB's

Don't know if I would chance another non Japanese Ob got burnt real bad last time!

Anyone know of any great places to buy ( new/used ) online other than Ebay?

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can sell you Johnson , Evinrude and Nissan. Boatwrench.net

8. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

fuel injected OB's

leaning towards a Yamaha, seems the only FI's under 150 hp are four strokes.
    Would love a 90 or 115 hp 2 stroke with HPDI, too bad they don't go that small.

9. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Wetfoot,

Read all the posts in this thread. All Evinrude E-tec 2 strokes are fuel injected.

10. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

I personally do love Johnson and Mercury two stroke OB..Johnson is the work horse..Mercury is the beautiful one..my grandpa will sided Ebinrud..he can't pronounce the name..but really trust his live on that machine.My father will said Yanmar..no OB for him but a kambing will do. Had small Yamaha and Suzuki before..can't stand their corrosion..the old Seagull ;)is better on this compared to the Japs..

11. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Gonzo, would you say that even the direct injected two strokes are less complicated than the four strokes? We have a pair of DFI 225 mercs and they are extraordinarily complex!
    In general though, I'd agree that the only reason to choose a four stroke over a DFI two stroke is coz they're quieter..

12. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Two Strokes Versus Four Strokes

The four strokes are more complex and heavier. But they also require a lot more servicing. The main issue is the valve train, cam shaft, and cam belt.

In Europe many car manufacturers are moving back to cam chains or gears rather than belts because the belts age, can snap prematurely, and then a big argument ensues over the correct servicing of the engine and who is going to pay the bill for a repair of several thousand GB pounds. Have a look under the cover at a four stroke and see what is involved in some of them !!!

Thus I say always change the belt at the correct interval - or earlier AND have it correctly tensioned. If you are needing to do that then the servicing costs are high, which is much more than the cost of the small amount of two stroke oil the Evinrude would use.

Look at the Evinrude marketing material - " no scheduled servicing for THREE YEARS or 300 hours. "

Personally we always change the gearbox oil every year and check the look of the spark plugs, and general greasing etc - but we would do that on any engine.

In the UK the ETEC models at many horsepowers are cheaper by 5% or more. No contest in my view, unless our customer is a bird watcher or fisherman who needs the silence of the Four strokes.

Good Boating
    Hugh Mattos C.Eng. M.I.Mech.E.
    www.explorermarine.co.uk

13. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

motor of choice

Surprised to see so many in Evinrurde's corner! Great to see other manufactures able to put out a product that keeps customers happy. Had a brand new ( back in 94 ) Johnson 175hp Oceanrunner that no one could make run properly in the 4 years I had it plus one thing after another would break. Glad to hear they are better. So do most boaters prefer Evinrude or Mercury over Yamaha and Honda?
    If so, they should get these folks building American automobiles!

14. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I had a '96 Ocean Runner 175 that I put over 1800 offshore hours on, in our "hypersaline" Gulf of Mexico and it's STILL RUNNING TODAY! The only thing that needed replaced was the optical ignition pickup at 6 years, and the power pack after 8 years. Like everything, sometimes you get a lemon, most times you get a peach! Also had an old Evinrude 175 crossflow '87 or '88 that went 8 years/ 1600+ hours. I have now a 1981 Evinrude 50 with who knows how many hours that runs like a top. And when she finally does go, I'm gettin' a 50 E-TEC to replace it!:D

15. wet-foot

wet-foot Senior Member

I will consider one of the e-tec Evinrudes, looking for something in the 50 to 90 hp range. Will checkout the product line, thank a lot this helped.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.