Freighter-like design suitable for an amateur builder?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cluttonfred, Jan 27, 2021.

1. cluttonfred

cluttonfred Junior Member

Thanks, Will, that’s very helpful, I ordered a used copy. Cheers, Matthew

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

a modest cruiser is typically going to be a displacement hull

I am not sure who designed Ox. It appeared first in the July, 1943 edition of Motorboats or Motorboating. I have to see if I have a copy. No references were made in the August or October issues which were part 2 and part 4 of the four month series.

3. cluttonfred

Thanks, the magazine appears to be “Motor Boat and Power” in the photo you posted. I checked the 1943 issues of Motorboating but did not see it there.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I will check for it.

cluttonfred likes this.
  5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

OK. How long did it take to build that boat?

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am 4th year into building the Skoota. Good chance for launch this summer. I work on it close to full time, but I had a hip replaced two years ago, so I am a little slower and lotsa days I work 6 physical hours and the rest sitting thinking about how to proceed and ordering parts, etc.

7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

There are some jobs for which thinking is the largest amount of time. The first time I ever wrote a math parser, it took me three days of just staring at my screen, one day to write, (about five hours) and another three days debugging. Thinking is real work sometimes, and for me, it can be hard work.

Will (Dragonfly)

8. cluttonfred

Two or three weeks of spare-time work for the rowboat including making simple oars, then I added the rudder and daggerboard and adapted a salvaged windsurfer rig for the sail later that summer.

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member

The Hero sketch, a freighter profile. mmm?? This profile is designed for just that, being a freighter. As far as a liveaboard it has many deficiencies. The only view is from the wheel house and one would doubt that there will be comfortable sofas etc where a group of people can comfortably sit for hours on end, couch potatoes as it were, and enjoy the views out the windows. Scurry down to the lower cabins and if you want to enjoy the
    ambience of a marina, or the water etc, you will have to stand at a porthole to see outside. Not a comfortable pass time.
    We have owned ocean boats since the early 80s and all of them had large windows though some did not offer a view from the salon that when you were sitting, you could look out the windows. But the best boats were those that offered almost 360 degree views from the main living area and had lots of sitting spaces.
    Being confined to the lower berths with portholes just does not meet your goals.
    Would you consider living in a house that had awesome views, to have 12 inch portholes for windows. Not likely

The Czarinna and those similar were ok though I would consider that when you are sitting around in your kitchen/galley or living room/salon or the wheel house, that you are able to see pretty much the scenery that
    living on the water provides.

As you were considering having the hull built and then finishing it, I would find some forums where people purchased older fibreglass fishboats that have seen their best mechanical days, gut it and build a large cabin with lots of windows that you can see out of. Much much cheaper than having someone build a hull to specs as the one that you have shown

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    bajansailor and rxcomposite like this.

10. cluttonfred

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.