FreeShip question ref cutting a plank in half

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pete Smith, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Pete Smith

Pete Smith New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on an outline of a 6m rowing / sailing boat using FreeShip that will have small outriggers and trampolines up front for additional stability.

The basic main hull dimensions are where I want them to be but I'm having a problem with the top level of the side planks.

Essentially I am making a small cabin in the front half and only want the top plank to run from the bow to the midship where a main bulkhead will be fitted.

Here it is currently with the rear half of the top layer selected that I want to remove:
    upload_2021-10-19_11-8-0.png

Note bottom left, the smoothly rounded outer hull.

Now when I remove the rear half of the plank it completely skews the area around the midships where the bulkhead will go as you can see in the bottom left area:
    upload_2021-10-19_11-9-34.png

Also the 4th side of the hull from the middle suddenly takes on a hugely curved shape top to bottom.

I've tried instead just extruding the front two edges but it seems to do exactly the same thing so I'm wondering if anyone could point me towards what I am doing wrongly here?

Would I better off creating a separate small layer for these front 2 top sides and then just dropping them into place?

Many thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

2. HJS

HJS Member

Place the topside in a separate layer.
    JS

3. Pete Smith

Pete Smith New Member

Hi,
    Yes it was already in a separate layer, with a crease between the panels and all developable.

I've attached the file as it is.

Attached Files:

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

You need to add more control points along the hulls length. Start with 10 or so, and split edges if needed. It really helps to know all the hard corners in advance so you can map those to a regular spacing of control points. This isn't something you pick up in a weekend, btw.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.