Best Marine Design Software for Hull Modeling? (2011)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Admin, Jan 9, 2011.

?

Which program(s) do you use as your primary hull design/modeling software?

1. Autoship

12 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Catia

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. DefCar

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Delftship

24 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Fastship

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Freeship

18 vote(s)
    12.0%
  7. HullCAO

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  8. HullForm

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. Maxsurf

49 vote(s)
    32.7%
  10. MultiSurf

6 vote(s)
    4.0%
  11. Naval Designer

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  12. Napa

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  13. NX

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  14. Prolines

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  15. ProSurf

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  16. SolidWorks

15 vote(s)
    10.0%
  17. Rhino

53 vote(s)
    35.3%
  18. SeaSolution

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  19. TouchCAD

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  20. Other (please post below)

10 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin

Admin Administrator

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Michlet, Flotilla and, best of all, the wonderful Gnu Scientific Library.

3. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

Rhino, Maxsurf, Autoship and hopeful for NAPA this year to put into my fav list.

4. yipster

yipster designer

Best Marine Design Software for Hull Modeling? (2011)
    if it was only hull modeling i'd say rhino, and there is orca, but maxsurf has the more complete design package i belive

5. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Hi,

Can you add Paramarine to the list?

Happy new year everyone!

6. bbsboat

bbsboat Junior Member

maxsurf for hull and rhino for deck

7. timo

timo Junior Member

?! How do you know if you are not familiar with most of them?
    I use Solidworks because thats what I learnt to use during my studies.
    I think Solidworks is very user friendly. I have used Solidedge & Rhino - I definatley think SW is better. One thing I would like to know though - SW does not seem to have a tool that can convert organic/ 3d shape to patterns, except for the sheet metal feature which I either don't know how to use or it can only convert box shapes. If these other programs can convert 3d shapes to flat patterns - which for instance would be useful for planking or RIB tubes- i would like to know.

8. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

I´m surprised there are still hullform users around. I mean it´s a great program for doing a quick & dirty drawing/lines plan, but then you´re quite finished with it. No fancy rendering stuff and so on, no reasonable options to go on and do a complete design in one program. Quite retro.
    Nevertheless, I like it, it´s so simple and convinient for doing the first step.

9. Felix Muehlhoff

Felix Muehlhoff Junior Member

Bernd,

I'm not only a hullform user. As I wrote years ago I'm using Siemens NX for the whole design and production process of ships and I'm still happy with it. For hydrostatics and damage calculations I'm using Paramarine because there is a direct link to NX using the Parasolid.

Grüße

Felix

10. amariner

amariner Junior Member

Rhinomarine 401 for design and hydrostatics. sometime maxsurf for hydrostatics to compare

11. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

Leo
    If you were a builder and not a Guru (not gnu) and you had no real training, where then would you begin?
    Can you explain why you prefer such , in simple language please.

12. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

As usual, it all depends on what you want to achieve with the software.

I would choose a free version of one of the most popular ones so far to see if it is roughly what I need. I would prefer one that has an online forum where users can exchange plans easily, and where beginners can have their questions answered promptly by other users and the owners of the software.

I would also recommend that beginners be prepared to spend many hours learning how to use the program. Don't dump (e.g. Freeship, Delftship or Maxsurf) from consideration before spending less than 10 hours playing with them. Of course, not everyone has the luxury of being able to spend that sort of time on learning new programs, but it will take at least that long for an absolute beginner to learn the basics and to produce a decent rendition of a simple hull from scratch. (Just my uninformed opinion, of course).

Good luck!
    Leo.

1 person likes this.
  13. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

leo

Thanks
    using Freeship I developed some very fair decks using my old freehand way
    Drew in crown H, divided 1/2beam by three , used factors.8818 and .5393 Of H and put a point at each and then curve network , from sheer and crown and all those points joined
    I have r4 and max 13 . I think maybe I am too ancienne to hold this stuff in my head.
    I am not alone in this i personally worked with some brilliant long time yacht designers, who could not adapt either.
    i use rhino for structure and because i prefer cut from a fully lofted body plan and not use cut files, I have no use for maxsurf workshop. I actually think , well not think--I know that for one offs CAD adds to time
    maybe I should add to that
    Add to cost for experienced builder of small ship
    Say I had lines from you and knew they were fair
    I would lift the body plan and draw say 40 frames in two days. with structure.
    i would bend the frames from T or Angle CAD would be of no assistance in this
    But the key is taking offsets from a designer , are they accurate. The first time I did this I ran some diags and then say if a buttock and wl intersection on the body were only say 8mm apart, then you knew your man had it right--when your batten clicked!!!

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  14. Kestrel

Kestrel Junior Member

It, obviously, depends on what kind of matters you are dealing with. We are involved since a long time on R&D applied to planing stepped hull, specially, for which we use SUPHAD (http://www.idet.it/idra.html). For CAD modelling, many solutions mentioned here are good. We use Thinkdesign, (Think3), since this is our standard tool for different engineering applications.

regards
    K.

1 person likes this.

15. F3M4

F3M4 Junior Member

Sketchup(in the tutorial I just posted) should be a viable option, especially at the cost.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.