FREE!ship continues as DELFTship

Discussion in 'Software' started by Martijn_vE, Jan 22, 2007.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Marsh, please... :D ;)

I was referring to the comodity of having it on the graph without having to perform those calcs manually.

But the issue I find really important is the absence of a module for calculation of resistance for planing hulls. I find it a really serious (and quite anachronistic) flaw in what is otherwise an excellent software. Martin, it is not a downplaying of your work (being an ex-programmer myself, I know the effort it takes to make a software like that), just a hint on what I believe should be a priority for the next release.

2. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Marshmat,

In hindsight, maybe Word is not the product you want to be compared with.;)
    But thanks, things are going very well at the moment, despite the financial crisis.

3. Martijn_vE

The weird thing is that priorities seem to vary from one person to another.:D
    I've been working on a resistance module that also includes Holtrop & Mennen, Oortmerssen, Hollenbach and some others. But not Savitsky (planing hulls). It's not yet been released since it still has to be validated.

Thanks though.....

4. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

I think these people are selling Freeship!:

http://www.3dboatdesign.com/

Even some images are directly from it, and they even admit the program is from open source community. Martijn, you may want to check this page to see if they are trying to ride your wave.

I am sure they are.

5. liki

liki Senior Member

Clearly the SW in question is Free!Ship. Personally I did not check the licensing more than to ensure that it is free for my personal use, but very well the license could allow others to resale it aswell? If not, this is a clear case of infringement.

Also, under the screen shots category is a picture of a canoe I recall seeing before on this site, posted by someone in a discussion regarding creating deck hatches etc. with DelftShip or Free!Ship.

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Ooooouuch, that's nasty! I hate these things.
    Those guys have made a bad move! :eek:

7. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

I am on a ship and do not have all the files, including the licence so not sure about that. The licence would probably allow others to resell it, but as long as you give the credit to the original author. Nowhere on the site the name freeship or it's author are mentioned.

Fishy biznis if you ask me. And what is with the "updates"...? For life, no less. Probably delftship version.

8. Martijn_vE

Thanks masrapido.
    In fact several oeple are selling FREE!ship, only not as rude as those guys. It is in fact allowed to ask money for it, but only a "reasonable fee" for costs made to reproduce the software (burning a CD or whatever).

Anyway, I've contacted them on their website with the following message:

I'm very curoius to their response (if I'll even get one....).

Interestingely enough the's a VERY small disclaimer at the bottom of the website. Once you press it the following text appears:
    So they admit some of the images are not their property. (not the source code though...)

9. Martijn_vE

For someone who's shamelessly selling someone else's software they are very protective of their own website:D

10. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

It would be interesting to see their response, if it eventuates. Since it is a download, there are no costs of even a CD copy. But pretending it is their software is what I find the most irritating detail.

Also, they claim to be from New Zealand, yet they are from usa. Can't be a honest operation anyway one looks at it.

11. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

At the bottom of the Contact us page, and in black so that you can safely miss it:

Part of the IDP Productions Group New Zealand

12. Martijn_vE

If I learn more I'll make sure to keep you posted.

13. ricardoribeiro

ricardoribeiro Junior member

help

I am making a model of decoration of about 2', I will use that hull, but I want to do the other things in a program igs.
    In the freeship he doesn't open, and in the freeship he exports in igs, in the delftship that doesn't happen.
    It is not for professional use, is it alone for a hobby, could anybody send me that file in the format freeship or igs?
    Thankful

Attached Files:

14. Martijn_vE

Try the attached file....

Attached Files:

15. JotM

JotM Junior Member

Is there some resource, preferably online, that I can read from so at least I am able to understand what all of you are talking about here?

If have been trying to find out what book I could read. That just might be the reader "Resistance and Propulsion of Ships" by Kuiper. If others here consider that to be a good choice, can someone please point out where the college reader store of the marine technology faculty of TUD is these days?

I am a mechanical engineer myself and all the surface and "far field" wave effects are pretty new to me.

Cheers,
    Jaap

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.