Forum Rules / Code of Conduct

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Jeff, Apr 1, 2006.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

This was an excellent set of rules. The "stay on topic" issue has become more and more of a problem. Seems that a few of posters are cluttering many threads with off-topic issues. I agree that the original poster's topic should be the guiding line for content.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

These rules are now in effect with a link posted in the footer of every page. Thank you to all who contributed ideas and gave feedback.

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Jeff,
    Some late posts have disappeared from this thread and others :confused:

1 person likes this.
  4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Guillermo - they were moved to the "Reputation" thread - it also caused us a lot of confusion at the time.

Personally, I felt like an idjit (as you can read in that thread):p

Edit:

Direct link: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11086&page=8

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Yes, sorry I should have put a note in this thread as well that I had moved the reputation posts over to the reputatino thread. But I like to keep you all on your toes :D

6. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Great ideas / intentions... but, can you play God ?

Jeff:
    I haven't been around this forum site all that long but, I have found this to be a great place to search for information and to talk / converse with others about the building & restoration of boats.

What you've got here is a great site.

When I first found this site, I had no idea exactly how or where (which catagory) to ask my inititial question. It wasn't until several replies and more questions later that I realized the more proper method of proposing my questions.
    (I didn't even see "the rules") My mistake, but honestly not intentional. According to your updated rules I should be banned already.
    So sad... I am only just learning.

Please, :!: understand that I am not being cocky or sarcastic.

Many good points have been exposed though, especially those by "RHough".
    Also, can't remember who pointed it out but, "we can not see eachothers faces / expressions", so some comments will no doubt be understood by some or most and yet still be misunderstood by others.

I myself have experienced this and at first was offended but as I read more of the posts / replies from this particular person I came to understand that this was just his way of being himself and that there more than likely was no harm intended. I could not appreciate seeing this person being repremanded or banned for simply being himself.

As my title indicates; Great ideas and intentions... but the policing and JUDGING of what may or may not be offenses is no doubt going to be a real load, mostly of stress.
    This alone could easily cause a deterioration of your own patience and tolerence.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgement ye judge, so shall ye also be judged".
    Jesus

Would suggest more thought and imput to be considered.

Would like to think that some kind of a merit or ranking system would be more appropriete than a "3 strikes and your out".

VKRUE

1 person likes this.
  7. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Howdie guys,

I am not happy:(, I am not trying to get attention but people do give comment why they giv bad rep. A guy gave me bad rep because he is invisible and think a playful button will not kill me......... it just make me wonder? WHAT IS WRONG???

I was grateful Mr Kjell used real money and time to send postage and CD of his program to me ........ this side of the earth!!! I felt I need to openly express thank you and notice that I have received his package. Do I need to open a open discussion thread to say that? or get the active thread started by him with the same topic........ Hull and his beautiful program?

I know some guys dont like me because I am Asian........... I can prove it. the thread of Kjell have Gilly post a similar content but spared but me............ I was given the blow.( sorry Gilly ).

I just want to know if this is a professional forum how come the new guys have the power to play trick? I asume the older folk is professional.

I am not crazy over my rep, but pls consider before u do that then if you need to give bad rep, dont forget to leave a comment!!!!!!!! @#$#%$$#%

Mentally, I trying to do a good think by behaving but stalking is a bad thing. This show hatred for me............. I thinK

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I think if a guy dont like me you can use the BL@@dy PM for your enjoyment.

WellyPissedOff

Attached Files:

8. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Hello!

I agree and I have already said that. I think that Jeff agrees too.

I have been here for about a year and with the exception of a Lady that used the forum for a money scam, I have seen nobody banned. And that is remarkable on tolerance.
    About that system that you talk: "(I) Would suggest more thought and imput to be considered. (I) Would like to think that some kind of a merit or ranking system would be more appropriete than a "3 strikes and your out""
    That system exists and it is called reputation (on the top right side of each post, you can vote on the interest of the post and your judgment will have an influence on the total "reputation" of that person.

This is an open merit system, Of course, for that you have to judge and every time you post, you submit yourself to public judgment :p

I don't know yet if the thing works or not, (I have my doubts and critics) but it is better than to be judged by one guy or a clique.

About the reputation, I have seen a guy with -80 and not banned (a Chinese guy that wants to sell his boats). That’s all right with me:D and I have seen that everybody is doing all right, I mean, nobody bellow the initial 10 that you got.

About Welly and his concern with bad reputation points. I don't agree with his proposal of justifying the interest you see (or not) in a post . If people have to justify that, there would be a lot of inhibition in a thing that should be natural (the measure of the interest of posts, giving posters a feedback on the interest that the forum has on them ).

But I agree with Welly on one thing: the REPUTATION word is inadequate. I agree with him that it is not nice to receive "bad reputation points". It seems to me that that word should be replaced by something like "INTEREST". That way you having negative points would mean, as it should, that the forum did not find that post interesting, excluding other possible negative connotations.
    It would have another advantage. That way would not contribute to mislead people about the technical competence of the poster. A person with reputation on a Design Forum should mean that he is a knowledgeable person on that area.

As I have pointed out, I do consider inappropriate and misleading that people a lot more knowledgeable than me have lower reputation points.

So, please Jeff, consider the alteration of that word, for a more appropriated one.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Reputation is the correct word. In the forum, as on the rest of life situations, reputation depends as much on what you do as in how people percieve you.
    Wellydeckhand: There may be people that don't like you because you are Asian. However, this reminds me of all the whining so many broadcast because someone doesn't like them. Have you considered they may not like you because of who you are?

10. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Well Gonzo - had it been Welly making a statement like that someone would have taken points from him.

And, much more important, what you say is exactly the reason that this system sucks big time.

All the arguments against it has been that it should not be a matter of cliqueing, it shouldn't be a matter of whether you like the person or not, but what the person contribute (and in this case, what we don't).

Your very nice argument on how this thing should be perceived is the very reason it's a crappy system. The reason is, that you, amongst others, target the ones you do not like, for whatever reason you deem justifiable, claiming that that is how it is in the real world as well.

I don't know your age, but high school stopped a long time ago for me, and with that, popularity contests and bullying stopped at the same time. In _my_ real world, people, colleagues and what not, still talk and respect eachother, and there are very few jabs at one another, and it certainly isn't tolerated when it happens.

Now, your argument is that the system is good because that's how it is in the real world - well, I'm thankful I'm not working the same place as you.

Edit: I see you have already taking a point from him. How splendid, Gonzo. Do you also call co-workers whiners when they open their mouth against you and your colleagues when you make him spend a lot of time taken crap from you guys?

11. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Gonzo,

On another note - tolerance can be taught, so even if you don't like Welly, you might want to take a hard look at yourself, and consider why you have no tolerance to that end.

In my experience, people that go around beating others (both literally and metaphorically) and whatnot because they "Just don't like them", are the ones that have the problem.

12. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Perhaps “bad reputation” has another meaning in the U.S.. Around here a guy with bad reputation is close to be a criminal. “Bad reputation” has a very strong meaning and has a lot of negative connotations, nothing like uninteresting.

You are a man of strong words. Can't you rephrase this in a more adequate manner? Is really this that you want to say?
    I don’t know Welly well enough to judge him for what he is and I doubt that anybody in this forum has that kind of personal information. Sometimes I don’t like his style, or I don’t agree with him, but that is a long way to a personal judgement of character (it has nothing to do with it).

13. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Bravo, Paulo!

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What I mean is that the dislike may have nothing to do with race. Perhaps I am really fed up with the use of race to explain any dislike or disagreements instead of considering other facts. However, if he has proof of discrimination, posting it would be useful. Then we could see if his claims are true.

Reputation, good or bad, is affected by everyone. It is so in this forum and elsewhere. Changing its name won't make a difference in the way people percieve it. For example, a poster with overwhelming bad input would get a bad reputation even if we call it feedback or something else

15. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Ah, like that, Gonzo.

However, there's a difference is acting on how you perceive people, "punish" them and so forth, and then just live and let live. Of course, none of us like everybody, but in my world there's a hell of a long way from that to bullying, exclusion and what have we from the not-so-nice box.

< Understanding 'rep points' question. | Admin Help! >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.