Forum Rules / Code of Conduct

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Jeff, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Sorry Jeff, I was wrong with this, as I thought taking off reputation points worked the same for everybody and it was a matter of 1 or 2 points.

I maintain the other opinions in my previous post.

I understand your new system of "power of points" tends to protect long term useful contributors, which is great (I agree with you that newcomers insulting others to make themselves noticeable deserve a quick and strong kick in the ***), but maybe these Forums will tend to become a kind of "Walhalla of Mighty Old Gods" , "Sacred Cows" or the like. I'm not sure if it will be good in the long term for the Forums, as they may lose "freshness" and interest. We'll see.

Cheers.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I gave someone some points the other day. I only intended to give them a couple as I thought he put in a good post. It turned out I gave him some thing like 8 and he now has more than me. Is there any way of controling how many points you give? I dont normaly bother with then but he was a fairly new guy and he didnt have many so,---- well he's got more than me now!!!

Most people say "Oh dont bother with them, I dont even look any more" well if this is the case of most members what are they for then.

Just exactly what they are for? Surely its not meant as a punishment( oh dear I hope i dont loose a point Oh dear that would be terrible). I understand that all this point thing came as a result of a few being insulting and too argumentative ( some thing like that) So the point system was brought in. 'Wow' they must have been terrified at such Draconian implementation of the point system and left immediately.
    The forum itself keeps our annonimity so why care what you say. Nope never understood them,-- I appreciate that at Infant school a 6 year old might be concerened but thats not going to work here.

Am I right in saying that there are no other forums that have this. Ille bet I am!!!

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

is the point exchangable for coke and fish fillet in one of the boat yard? If not why seach the forum for point? just label the guy with a title more then senior... and they would be happy like forum GOD?

I seen some forum with non complusiory contribution of money and the range of money will exchange for a title under their ID like platinium or paper member. give a range from US$10 -US$1500 with 10 different title. You would be surprise how many would give the foru the fund to further upgrade. The free member would able still to access the forum without viewing the picture while US$10 charge being a paper member would let him see picture and access attachment.................. Fair and square...

Dont tell me this forum dont need xxtra funds to be better ok. If they pay a bit it would help and they feel a community that care... while the junkies and norm salesmaen would shun the site... US$10 min is nothing compare what we can learn from each other... :D:D:D

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

There are many memebers who dont come here for help- but to help. If you start charging them its likely they wont come no more, why pay to help?

If the helpers dont come then the help wanteds wont come -- end of forum.

5. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

You enjoy the facilities lately?... see the hardware needed to run it?...

All member have the choice to help the forum by contribution or just use it without any money taken...

If your're poor but knowledgable, u still can post serious thread and be regard by other member without having the title Platinium member ... However, I do think contributing a bit donation doesnt kill the spirit the forum is intented for the scheme of donation can be such as this below:

1. Paper member........................ US$ 10-25 max ( picture access and other normal stuff)
    2. Wood member........................ US$ 26-50 max ( just pure bigger donation label)
    3. Bronze member....................... US$ 51-75 max ( Mmmm... still a bigger donation)
    4. Silver member........................ US$ 76-99 max ( Wow... big donation)
    5. Gold member.......................... US$ 100-199 max (get free T-shirt with forum logo)
    6. Platinium member.................... US$ 200-350 max (get Mug and other stuff?)
    7. Diamond member.................... US$ 351-499 max ( min for boat or yacht builder)
    8. Titanium member.................... US$ 500-750 max
    9. PURE GOLD member................ US$ 751-999 max
    10. PURE Platinium member.......... US$ 1000-1999 max
    11. Forum Guardian member......... US$ 2000-5000 max
    12 Ultimate Guardian member....... US$ 5001-9999 max

13. Subsidized member............... US$ Free.............
    (can do everything but cannot take picture or see gallery).

I know I wanted to donate and get myself labelled..... do you want to contribute a bit to say thanks? it is not even complusory

P.S. Understand this, this forum doesnt have a lot of advertisement like other forum, so the running may need a bit of kind help from us... what do you think?

6. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Hey Jack, you can not give 8 points. Only Jeff can do that. The points you give has to do with the points you have. If he got 8 points it means that several guys have given him points.

7. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Are you serious? Or have you a twisted sense of humor?:p

8. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

no... seen this work in a forum for young kid bragging about girlfriends and they all 75% contribute monetary with the poor 25% stay good member and still get respected. Now that is a new thing

9. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Actually it depends on how many posts you have, how many reputation points you yourself have been given, and how long you have been a member of the forum (the idea, for better or worse, being that if you've been here for a long time, you are generally a contributor who loves the forum and not a new person wanting to disrupt it without understanding the forum culture.)
    • For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power: 180
    • For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power: 500 (images uploaded to the gallery also increment the post count by 1)
    • For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power: 100
    • How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? 10
    • How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? 50
    • Negative votes count 50% of positive to weight the system towards the positive.
    The rep system is far from perfect, and I don't think anyone should get overwhelming point-envy any more than post-count envy. But as a small tool to help the community self-police itself, on the whole it does more good than harm. Just as it can be used to give someone an indication that they might be heading in the wrong direction, it can also be used to say "thanks for posting this information" in cases where you wouldn't want to clutter up a thread with just a thank you after thank you.

And if someone clearly breaks a rule (or for blatent spam, fraud, etc. posts) I very much thank everyone who clicks on the "Flag for Moderator" link on the top right to report the post so I can be sure to catch these ASAP.

10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Jeff- thanks for explaining that, I've been a bit confused about it too. As much as some people dislike the points, they seem to have found their place now.
    5554x- how can I say this... WTF? Make people pay, and they will leave. Voluntary donations, sure, but if we had to pay to access this place I bet at least 80% of us would be gone, and at least one would start a new free forum. Jeff's kept it going quite well so far, indeed, it's thriving.

11. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

QUOTE=Jeff;113033]The rep system is far from perfect, and I don't think anyone should get overwhelming point-envy any more than post-count envy. But as a small tool to help the community self-police itself, on the whole it does more good than harm..[/QUOTE]

It's o.k Jeff ,you had set up a system, work on improving it if you had like to.
    I believe we had seen the benifits of it.If there is hiccup here and there, it's normal for any new implementation.What's important is that to have a system and make the system live by updating and improving it to suit the situation and condition.A system that is too rigid or dead will become obsolete real fast.

12. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

not make people PAY... but some does want to contribute in form of donation as an option... with a option donation button avaliable? Those who doesnt want to donate still can access the forum and chat boat.....:rolleyes:

13. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

How many points do you have to have before you can enroll in the dental plan?

14. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Lol :d :d :d

15. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

good question... it seem all american is crazy of dental care perk within job proposition... very cute.

< Understanding 'rep points' question. | Admin Help! >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.