Forum Reputation

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Jeff, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Rhough, this is not nice. I believe that you had no intention but you have completely changed the meaning of the quote, not posting the question that led to that post (reply).

This is the complete transcription - Question and answer :

I am not going out of the subject, I am trying to put that thread on line again, giving a polite answer and getting back to design (I do love curves in design).

Besides, all those examples were before the set of the rules of conduct.
    It is supposed that after that, everybody would start to be a lot more careful. Seems to me unfair and inappropriate the use of past examples, quoting answers without posting also the questions (that puts those quotes completely out of contest).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Well, tough luck that you think it sounds like a kindergarden, but this judging system is akin to a popularity system, meaning that people get kicked out. Even between socalled "adults" and in the "real world", "mobbing" isn't such a rare phenomenon, and if you think that noone should talk loudly about a system that promotes that sort of behaviour, I hope that you at least will accept it in "the real world".

With that said, I agree with you, that there is no information there at all, but that is not the reason it is there. It is there so the "bad apples" (i.e. not the most popular) can get tossed out. And so that someone can vote just like all the others when they see someone has a high number, or vote someone out if they see a low number.

Kindergarden? Yes, but kindergardeners are naïve, and so is this system.

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Wouldn't the effort of actually write to you (or another mod?) be more sincere, and would take the blunt off of the popularity contest?

Still, why are people allowed to see what points a given person has, if it's just for the good of you?

4. Vega

Vega Senior Member

You are wrong, you would lose that bet;)

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

well vega its the same thread you jumped on welly for!but maybe im wrong been wrong before.

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Then I have to read each and every comment and relay it to the original poster as a "warning" - that adds up to a lot of time in the forum of an unpleasant task :)

One idea of this was that it shifts the focus from a negative to a positive. Instead of only reacting when a given poster is so far over the line that people have "tattled to the moderator," this way quick comments will hopefully let them gauge the crowd long before they've made themselves unwelcome.

Moreover, positive reputation points should be given to posts that are especially helpful, interesting, and informative. Before there was simply "post count" with no measure of the value of those posts -- the forum reputation system is intended to reflect the value of a person's posts to the forum in a slightly more meaningful way than the post count and make posters want to attain positive reputation numbers rather than simply trying to add to an empty post count value.

7. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Yes, I thought for a minute we had a whole crowd talking to themselves with H2O Baby and H2O_Babies ... good job hammering the signup form :rolleyes: But thank you for not taking that into the other forums excessively.

8. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

But that doesn't mean anything - a newbie, even though he might have tremendous insight will still have a lower number, so the only extra the reputation-points give, is another sort of post count. See?

You wouldn't have to relay it, if people should also pm/im/mail the poster. Or simply telling them that they are over the line (usually, that works, without even tattling, and it would only be necessary to contact you if it were really bad). This way, people are using the negatives as a way to take people down. Take a close look at wally, longliner and welly. Weirdly enough, I have gone up, even though I was one of the newbies that this seemed to be aimed at.

This certainly does not shift negatives to positives. On the contrary. It is, as I have said numerous times, a popularity contest, and the notion that it will somehow be helpful is wrong, as I already said, as it will be just another post count-thing. And who cares about post count anyways?

How about simply asking people to im someone. AND tell the "complainers" that even though they complain, they might be wrong - as is the real world (i.e. because someone complains doesn't mean that they are always in the right)?

Edit: Sorry, a post came in between as it took a while to write this.

Andre

9. Vega

Vega Senior Member

10. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

No, please explain further. If a newbie comes to the forum and contributes trememdous insight, their rep will go up as people give them points for their helpful or interesting posts... based on the value of their posts.

11. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Heh man................ nobody sleep over that side of the world? I cant catch up reading these post!!! too fast hot reply. I am having a tea break due to sore eyes.......:(

12. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Heh, see Jeff, had that "point" been send in an im, it would propably have been fine. Maybe even a little discussion would have ensued, and they/we would have been that much wiser.

Well, what I mean is, some people frown upon newbies. Be it because of the language, the lack of jargon there is at any place, or for whatever reason. Now, that person might be able to offer tremendous insight, but that isnight, or the way it is presented (perhaps just because it is a newbie), might not be liked by most (or should I say, by the most triggerhappy), therefore it's likely they will get negatives (for a lot of reasons, not only the ones I have written), and it's even more likely that they will get negatives to begin with than positives, as people tend to need to "weigh" people before saying anything positive about them, and the same goes for this system. However, it is easy to dismiss people's opinions and whatnot if they are new, be it here, on a work place, a school, on the street or where ever. As someone wrote recently "Patients, patients, I need patients" (he meant "patience", of course) :)

I don't know if that explains it a bit better (it's fifteen to six in the morning here, so I'm a little tired)

13. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Hah............... Now I know we are 6 hours Difference to Danishbagger!!!:D

14. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

Hi everybody,

This is Mayfly and also Wellydeckhand, I thanks those people who gave me good rep and view my post as interesting. Actually, all that post is still under wellydeckhand small computer and wriiten to see the different feeling and attitute that can be attain by just changing a bit the name and location.

This experiment have concluded well and I think we learn alot about bias and thinking racist like.

Mr. Jeff can I cash in all the rep collected under Mayfly, H20_BABIES into wellydeckhand and delete Mayfly and H2O_BABIes as resgistered member?

Wellydeckhand

15. trouty

trouty Guest

1 Month Trial???????

I see my choice was correct!

There was & is great opposition to the 'reputation' feature!
    It was a fortnight trial!
    It's been altered / edited as now a 1 month trial.:rolleyes: :mad:
    No discussion, no poll, no question as to what the members want!:mad:
    Just a dictate from down on high to the lowly unwashed membership!:mad:
    I've come back after the fortnight trial to see what ensued!:confused: :confused:
    What ensued was NOT in any semblance democratic!:mad:
    What the members want here carrys ZERO weight!:mad:
    What the Site owner states / practices cannot be relied upon! He is inconsistent! ow can ANYONE abide by what he says he wants, when he himself does NOT know or show ANY consistency!
    My choice to leave and the reason for it - Jeff NOT having any ethics or consistency, in regards to what members want, is yet again proven by his actions!
    My choice was correct!
    I will NOT be back at the end of another 2 weeks to see how it ended up this time round!
    A longtime member speaks!
    Goodbye!

< How does one start a new " Poll" ? | Suggest adding Nautical & Naval History Forum >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.