Forum Reputation

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by Jeff, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

oh! Im sorry! i didnt see thats how it went in. I know Welly didnt say that...oops:( I quote by hand. not sure how to use the little box.

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

A recent example of my point would be the logo/avatar discussion. I too found that offensive, but all things equal, what accomplished the change of it? An argument as to why it felt "wrong". A little communication and that was it.
    If people take that as "confrontation", then something is wrong, frankly. It's a matter of stating what one believes in, instead of just simply putting people down. If people really feel they are insulted, and not just want to put someone else down, they should also be willing to make an effort. Otherwise I doubt they really care.

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Press the quote button instead, that way it goes automatically :)

When I quote several posts, I open each quote in a new tab, reply to the first one, copy/paste it into the next and so forth, and only post the last one.

Andre

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Uhm, sorry about the off-topicness of the avatar-discussion, but I figured that if it a little communication worked, it could be used as an example. I could have IM'ed him instead, but in order to use it as an example of how the system has an inherent tendency to take away proper communication, it should be out in the open.

The off-topicness of quoting was, well, simply a mistake.

5. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

No worries I think Jeff understand you.......... SeaSpark and me suffer a Bad Rep...... and I feel ok.:)

6. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I agree with Marshmat on this. I think you have to modify something in your system. I understand your intention to prevent "friendly rewards", but if we can not in true justice reward informative and interesting posts, what is the point?

Take an example. I have learned a lot with this post. I want to give a much deserved positive feedback to this post:
    .....and I get the "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to xxxxx again..."
    I donĀ“t remember when I gave another positive feedback to Mikejones, but I can say that if I have given it, it was because I have found it deseved it, not him, put the post. That is not the first time that this has happened to me., I mean the story of :"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to xxxxx again..."

1 person likes this.
  7. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Yes, it happen to me.......... when we want to give it to someone, take a couple of hours, we would have forgotten where the post is anyway.....:)

8. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

thanks for puttin up with us jeff,,,,,,longliner

9. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

I'll second that. Thanks Jeff!

10. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I suggested in 'Forum/Rules...' thread to allow the reputation giving/taking of points to be done only at the technical forums but not in the Community ones, as nature of discussions here may rise somewhat the temperature...

This post disappeared and Jeff told me it was moved to this thread, but I do not find it :confused:

Also disappeared an agreeing answer from Dannisbagger (I have no copy of it), at least another one (I don't remember the content) and this Mike the Walrus' one:
    "Again you make great sense. If we must have this God awful system, as you say it should only cover the technical section - the open section which can and does cover some quite provocitave subjects can esily loose people through the likes or dislikes of the minority! Well said!"

11. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

12. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

13. longliner45

how about if it takes 3 or 5 members to issiu a point,,,,,,,? no ganging

14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

And how can you tell if several members are NOT ganging? especially if they have ganged before, why has this particular point suddenly become an issue when before it was about trying to get rid of someone who says he don't like your hair colour or whatever?

'Fraid I still don't like it! Yeah to a certain extent it's OK in the technical side (if you are faceless, don't know or don't have any experience, stay off the net but what if you have. and more to the point what IF somebody sez I'm going to do such and such any opinions - and everybody is scared of the points system and this guy thinks "well nobody has said anything, so it must be OK I'll go and do it!"

Post from his wif er widow a couplea days later " the old man won't be posting again you guys said it was OK to ...., so he did and now he's dead! how do I tell his six children? and feed em? wwe have no welfare in this country!"

Sorry I'm not allowed to think like this but .....what if

15. longliner45

see your point man.....longliner

< How does one start a new " Poll" ? | Suggest adding Nautical & Naval History Forum >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.