Floating home is NOT a boat,sez US Suprimes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FAST FRED, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Home is home.

Don't ever undestimate the value of that to the home owner / resident.

2. myark

myark Senior Member

Pictured is a smaller Myark amphibious folding trailer barge for those water way rules that do not allow house boats,
    The advantage Myark folding trailer barge allows is light to tow and the traveling vehicle can be placed on top that allows the barge platform to be a house boat.
    Also you have more options of remote water ways to use, for an example you could travel down the Mississippi in style and also come ashore to explore inland.
    No doubling back and could follow the flow of the river using a electric outboard motor for peace and quiet while blending in with nature and been economical and environment friendly.

Attached Files:

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Citizens United was a very fair decision ,as it allows companies the same advantage as unions.

The sad part is almost the only unions are Gov "employees" (cant say workers) and these are funded with tax extractions. So the union dues simply go to pay for campain funds , for folks willing to give gov "employees" even higher saleries and a far huger benefit package.

Do you get 50% over what a normal salary is and an inflation adjusted retirement , after 20 years where you work?

That a company can donate to a politico that will stop the attacks on their company ,so they can survive does seem fair to me.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Trust me: It wasn't unions who invented the twenty-and-out set-up.... pensions for public employees, including the military, have a history thousands of years long.

I'd love to be there when you start telling firemen, policemen, tree trimmers, janitors, bus drivers, bus mechanics, window washers, municipal utility employees and a slew of other union members that what they do for a living isn't 'work.'

Tell me: do you get paid to get shot at? Do you get paid to climb onto the roof of a burning building and chop holes in it? When you do, then you can start complaining about how overpaid those cops and firemen are.

And other union public employees (including teachers) don't get the huge payouts and benefits you're imagining -- especially after just twenty years. If you want to stop that abuse of the system, you need to go after it where it's happening: with the non-union management types.

I don't want to destroy this thread, so this will be my last public comment on the subject. But I'm an elected union official, and I invite you to send me a PM explaining why on God's Green Earth I would try to destroy the company that I and my entire local depend on for a living.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

It is amazing what happens when you read what happened.

You might agree with what I wrote, instead of tilting at windmills.

6. myark

myark Senior Member

"I don't want to destroy this thread" :rolleyes:

7. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

And ugly is ugly.

It is one thing to ban a flag in the front yard, or Christmas lights, or decorations. These are wrong decisions.

It is quite another to expect a home, or boat, or any other semi-permanent structure to NOT be an eye-sore.

But, to each their own, there are those who feel building homes with old tires are beautiful and environmentally great ideas. But, at least earthships are usually out of sight.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Then quit posting ads for your trailer flat-boats .... It is not like I haven't seen 40 of your ads on 10 threads in the last couple of days ....

I get the idea.

You think you have the only product anyone would buy.

If that is so, you do NOT need to spam threads in order to advertise .....

IMHO. YMMV.

9. myark

myark Senior Member

Not for sale :rolleyes:

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Here's what actually happened; the Supreme Court didn't just pull an arbitrary ruling out of its collective backside on a whim.:)
    And another relevant snippet:
    I'm not surprised by any of this. I lived and worked in Florida for a couple of years, and was amazed by how highhanded and arrogant local governments could be sometimes. I saw a remodel job get shut down and sent into bankruptcy, because the local building and safety officials decreed the contractor had encroached on the home's setback from the property line by adding a new coat of stucco to the walls.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Myark

Quit picking fights with people. One or the other. But, your constant advertising or picking fights is getting old.

Again, IMHO & YMMV.

I disagree with Troy about his unions. And I am not trying to sell my services on this forum.

But, when you pick fights with people, I do not want to buy your products.

And I certainly get tired of all your free ads .... I keep wondering when the moderators will send you a bill ....

Out of your 187 posts, how many have furthered the threads they were in?

Again. IMHO & YMMV.

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Stop stalking me troll

13. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Troy,

I hate the use of Public (Imminent) domain. Even for truly public use.

What I do not like about the ruling was the implication that if you claim something as a home, then you get special protections not available to others.

I just do not like special treatment .... Of course, if they came after my home, I would then want special treatment. Back to my original problem with his city, I do not like the use of 'public domain.'

I think public use is just that public use, not special interests.

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

But he didn't claim special treatment. He was paying property taxes on his home, and he simply wanted the same legal protection that other people's homes enjoy.

Since he was paying property tax on the boat as a home, and the state of Florida refused to register it as a vessel, the city had no business claiming it was a vessel instead of a home so they could seize it.

I don't know if you noticed, but the city didn't just grab his floating home. Its original attempt to take the marina private involved seizing 2200 homes, most of which I'm sure were on dry land. He just happened to be the one homeowner with deep enough pockets to fight them.

As a general rule, I agree with you about public domain. I do think there are very limited circumstances where public domain proceedings for the public good can make sense. But taking people's property away from them and giving it to someone else just to increase revenue flow isn't one of them....

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Also, keep in mind that it really was the guy's home; he didn't just claim it was as a convenient legal ploy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.