Flexible Hulls.

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by SURFFOILS, Dec 26, 2011.

1. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Flexibility is also a matter of comfort. (And it prevent **** from an early drop) :p
    This was the first jet-ski I ever saw (wet-bike at that time).

Attached Files:

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Why not build a double hulled boat with shock absorption between hulls.. Can I patent that???

Well I guess that is what a foam filled boat is all about, besides flotation...

3. yipster

yipster designer

Jim Antrim build a seagoing cat witch hulls were made of suspended sections
    advantage of stern sectios was fe props stayed level in waves
    whole cat in sections was following the waves, many pro's and con's, interesting tho
    and somewhat similar to design idea perpective here, wasnt that cat called spider
    this idea for speed i suggest a watertight 4wd dune buggy riding WOT on water

edit, here picture and link
    [​IMG]
    have a look at videos: http://wam-v.com/wamv.html

4. quequen

quequen Senior Member

Code:
    Why not build a double hulled boat with shock absorption between hulls.. Can I patent that???
    Sure, but maybe you should share the (c) with some other posters at this thread!
    IMO, it's not just a "softness" matter, but a "dumping", "shock absortion" matter. Exterior hull should yield after a shock while increasing resistance, and then return to its original position at a slower velocity. Just as the 1977 wet bike do it.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Soft riding , good sea worthyness , and safety is mostly to do with design and and a driver that knows what they are doing ! secondly it also to do with the speed at which you travel at in the given sea conditions , thirdly the skills of the guy behind the wheel and knowing the limitations and capabilities of his particular boat . Put all that together and you could have a better ride and a safer ride . A person that can read the surface conditions of the water and respond to each wave and knows what its all about is a pleasure to go ride with ! on the other hand some one that has very little between there ears is a danger to travel with ,crash bang and pounding and spending most of the time holding on to anything just to stay in the boat is not a pleasurable exsperiance . :eek:
    Most boats can stand a lot more punishment than the drive or the passengers can !:D
    I spend some time involved with surflife savng and working for a company that manufactured special boats for the west coat of New Zealand , . During compitions i seen guys come back from the surf with broken legs, broken ankles and looking like they been through a washing machine . funny things was it was always the older guys that suffered most . the younger guys there bones are not as brittle and they recover there knocks and bangs quicker . The introduction of hulls that flexed and twisted a little , with the addition of a couple of degress to deadrise along with a few tricks learned from the raceboat days and all of a sudden boats went places quicker, handled better , guys got fewer breakages and sore backs were fewer , trophys started to appear on the shelves of the clubs that hadnt had any before .