First time MIG user

Discussion in 'Materials' started by captain butch, Oct 14, 2004.

1. captain butch

captain butch Junior Member

I am a first timer at MIG welding and while practicing I was unable to pool, my wire was feeding at a steady rate and the arc looked OK, perhaps a bit sporadic but I was just building piles of spatter without any penetration or adherance. What was I doing wrong. I had the machine at all power levels and was using the wire reccomended by the dealer, 0.030 alum. I did keep a low wire feed speed as I was unsure of the characteristics of wire feed. Anyone have any sugestions? :confused:

2. Eagle Boats

Eagle Boats Senior Member

Miller has a web site, WWW.MILLERWELD.COM, which has an area where you can ask these type of questions. Go into the "Motorsports" area, then "Ask Andy". The questions are usually about the Miller welders, but I am sure they will answer your questions if it involves another manufacturer. In addition, Hobart has a web site with an area to ask questions as well. Hope this helps.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.