Fire Protection ?????

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by boatbuilder41, Jul 25, 2016.

  1. boatbuilder41
    Joined: Feb 2013
    Posts: 161
    Likes: 5, Points: 18, Legacy Rep: 56
    Location: panama city florida

    boatbuilder41 Senior Member

    on "T" class vessels.... fire protection calls for emergency fire pump with minimum 60 gal/min. At 50 psi at pump head with a 1" outlet... we all know thats to much water to pull from any dc pump that i am aware of..... so.. all the systems that i have installed have engine driven fire pumps. These are C.G,Approved pumps . The problem is.. C.G. also requires a halon fire protection system of approved type and size for machinery compartment( engine room ). They also reguire automatic engine shut down devices wired to halon bottle pressure switch. So... in case of fire... engines are shut down ....engine driven fire pump is not operational.... all of my installations have been C.G approved and inspected . Have they not realized that this is a flaw in fire protection........How long has this problem been over looked ???? and what could be the fix for this situation...????
  2. The Q
    Joined: Feb 2014
    Posts: 206
    Likes: 35, Points: 28, Legacy Rep: 21
    Location: Norfolk, UK

    The Q Senior Member

    I'm suprised at the requirement of a halon fire system, as this has been banned for some years in Europe, as it is one of the most ozone layer damaging gasses there is.
    If you've filled your engine compartment with halon your engine will stop anyway unless you have separate air intakes for the Engine.
  3. TANSL
    Joined: Sep 2011
    Posts: 6,881
    Likes: 518, Points: 123, Legacy Rep: 300
    Location: Spain

    TANSL Senior Member

    In general regulations require two pumps that can be used as fire pumps. One main pump driven by the engine and another autonomous.
    On the other hand, what is intended is effectively prevent the entry of more oxygen into the engine room, so that the fire (and of course the engine) goes out.
  4. jehardiman
    Joined: Aug 2004
    Posts: 3,101
    Likes: 597, Points: 113, Legacy Rep: 2040
    Location: Port Orchard, Washington, USA

    jehardiman Senior Member

    Boatbuilder, all you need to satisfy this is the common portable DC dewatering/fire pump (google the Navy standard P-250 because you will want to fight 2 hoses rather than just 1). And really, you should have one of those aboard a vessel of any significant size.

  5. boatbuilder41
    Joined: Feb 2013
    Posts: 161
    Likes: 5, Points: 18, Legacy Rep: 56
    Location: panama city florida

    boatbuilder41 Senior Member

    thats a very impressive pump....
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.