Finot Follies

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Brent Swain, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

An "approved" builder most likely means that builder paid for the plans and pays royalties for the boats built. That is to differentiate them from a builder who pirates designs, not paying for plans or royalties for multiple builds.

Seems someone like you who claims to be in the business should know things like this.

1 person likes this.
  2. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Not as long as I didn't recommend him to anyone . Approving is recommending.
    Simplifying a boat drastically reduces the odds of it turning out to be a piece of crap.
    When a skeg falls off, the boat usually sinks very quickly, too quickly to get a mayday off, and no guarantee if you did , anyone would hear or react to such a brief message. Thus there are no accurate statistics on the issue.
    Two identical skegs, drawn by different designers, don't have differing odds of failing , depending on who the designer is. The sea doesn't work that way.

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Very good point. And very true.
    Daniel

4. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

So.... a car company admits that there may possibly be a fault;
    In contrast a boat designer does NOT admit that there is a fault - so there's a major difference there.

Some (disputed) reports say that the cars MAY have a problem that caused reported crashes;
    In contrast, there is no report of an incident with the boat designs - so there's another major difference there.

The cars are current models, built by the design company.
    In contrast, the boat is an old model that was not built by the design company - so there's a third major difference there.

Those taking actions about the cars include professors, the builder, major media groups, etc.
    In contrast, those taking actions about the boats seem to include one rival boatbuilder with (as far as can be seen) no particular claim to fame - difference number 4.

I've got no dog in this fight, but the situation between Finot and Toyota seems to be totally different on every ground one can see. Except, perhaps, for the fact that there is some evidence that the claimed issue with Toyotas is complete bulldust, as was (I understand) the similar claimed issue with Audi some years ago.

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Good point. I beleive it absolutly.
    Same BS.
    Daniel

6. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

When a design flaw is likely to cause loss of life , one has a moral obligation to warn l people of it. Roberts designs, until we began the debate of his comments that skegs should be designed to fall off if they hit something, were all designed with flimsy skegs, just like the ones on the Finot boats.

7. mala

mala Junior Member

Brent is correct keels or skegs should not be just glued under a hull but brought through the hull to a certain height with the added advantage that this will prevent bilge water running into an open keel. That a keel rising to a cabin roof or a skeg rising to a cockpit sole will be more efficient than adequate transverse stiffening is questionable.

8. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

It simply takes less metal and effort to guarantee that the skeg or keel takes a bending load and does not produce a bending load on the hull skin, if you simply run them right thru. to the cockpit or decks in the case of a large boat with a high aspect ratio keel or skeg. It also often takes less metal to get a guaranteed connection. You can get the same with transverse menmbers, but it's far more complex and labour intensive.

9. dskira

dskira Previous Member

What you talking about? Did you see one keel glued? Perhaps you do it, but your are the only one in the world.
    A keel rising inside the boat as you descrive is quite simplistic, and can be dangerous. And to the cabin roof? And a skeg to the cockpit sole?
    We have other way to design fortunatly.
    As for I quote you:
    It is pure delusion. you obviously have no clue of naval architecture, nor ship or boatbuilding.
    Why you said things with certainty, but with no knoweldge of what you talking about?
    Please introduce yourself, and tell us who you are, and where you live.
    Thank you
    Daniel

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I agree completly. You should be the first to have this moral obligation.
    By publishing in the forum your plans, the stability calculation, the construction plan, structural design, rigging design, weight calculation, and all other plans and calculation paterning to boat and ship construction.

Daniel

11. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Ask any designer to give away his plans for free, to the world, and thus throw away his livelihood, and he will tell you to go to hell. So will I. Go to hell, Daniel!

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

Some calculations would be sufficient Brent! Not the entire Opera. Bring them...

Otherwise pave the way for Daniel..........:D

13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Brent, Brent what a very awful think to say. It's too hot :cool:

Why when I ask for calculation I have to go to hell? It is because Brent, you don't have them.
    A lot of designer publish the plans, nothing wrong with that.
    Some of the numerous designer like Buehler, the late Rabl, your friend the late Francis Herreshoff, the late Engleman, and a lot of very alive one published in a magazines plans.
    I have a list of 50. So don't ask me to ask them individualy, it will be time consuming. But if you open a magazine, it can be a revelation for you. :p
    If you knew your trade you will know that publishing plans are the way to go, sharing is important if you want to design boat.
    And they sell also plenty of them as a result.
    I forget: they all knows how to design. :p
    Your livelihood? you said the designers are scam artist asking for money, so YOU are the one you denounce .What a mentality Brent :p
    Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.