Finger Jointing Plywood: Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ancient kayaker, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I would think it would be quite easy to apply glass to a plywood sheet while it was still flat. However, that would still leave the seams between the planks unreinforced unless tape was added. Applying glass over a completed hull would provide a nicer finish.

Personally I'm a wood only man!

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I'm not sure what the Kevlar Ply panel was designed for, but as you know Kevlar is difficult to work with...always best to have it sandwiched away from sandpaper and fairing boards. Perhaps you could slash scarf it ?...perhaps the finger joint would be a good application for this material. I read about this ply years ago and it was being used as a collision bulkhead on an ocean racer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.