Filipino style trimaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by samytee, Mar 27, 2018.

1. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I'm trying to figure out how the one that capsized managed to do so. My guess is one of the floats sheared off the crossbeams. If it were overloaded, it would seem that once the boat started to roll, the leeward float would dig in further, due to the excessive passenger load, combined with a higher center of gravity. This would have put more shear loads on the float lashings, possibly causing them to fail.

Is this what happened?

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

So, you said:-

And now it is just

Which is it..60 knots or 45knots...

And how are they supposed to carry passengers or sea fishing tuna and squid and still go at 60knots..??

And what point is that?...all is read is just verbal diarrhea. Nothing else...

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Aaahh...ok..that's a no then.

Just lots of endless pointless words, but nothing else.

Ok...fair enough. Enjoy your play time.

4. chinaseapirate

chinaseapirate Previous Member

Are you going to get me an airplane ticket and spending money just to prove to you that any of the Idiginous Philippine Mga Bangkas posted here can easily go 20 - 60 knots out to
    sea? How about $35,000 for "My Favorite" and I'll delivery it anywhere West Coast or Hawaii ($2,000 off for Hawaii). I am a pirate...

I don't know. I asked. My guess was 45-50 knots...Then I edited to 60kts...Then 50.. That's my last guess- 5o+knots at 16.33mpg. You will need to be more specific as to which boat you are questioning. 4:22 of the second video there are 25 mga bangkas. Only 6 of which are not used to go out to sea in (at times). But, 12 year kids could take the four racers out 100 knots and back

Not really, As far as I know I'm set. Can't believe I never thought of this before in the last 10 years. Every couple of weeks I just re-post my email address and and a new boat for samytee too look at. Ive already got an email from a gentleman with BIG plans. Maybe he could use some boats. People are going to want these boats if they have a place to park them. After all where else can you get a 45ft trimaran "needs work" for two thousand bucks with engine, any of the racers or those 2 in the middle of the harbor 25 ft personal fishing boat 120 mile range with 12mpg at 20+ knots without slowing down in 2-3 ft slop, wetsuit needed, also a sister ship at-

(4:53) That man does not look like he spends too much time playing around spending money on boats racing. Looks to me like he has been staring at glass 2 meter swells hunting marlin TWO LONG a couple times. The race event was held on a mangrove lagoon in the Pacific Ocean. None of these "Indiganese" need help designing mga bangka. :rolleyes:

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Knots mean speed. It is nautical miles per hour but knot is not used as a measure of distance.

It is very difficult to follow on which claims you are talking about speed and in which claims you mean distance from shore.

Using nm for distance would clear things a lot.

6. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

After watching the video of a banca race, it is clear to me that the 2o to 60 kt bancas in question are very small, 4 to 5 meter long specialty racing craft, not working bancas. These racing bancas have flat planing bottoms and probably weigh just a few hundred pounds, including the crew. The 16 hp engines have had their governors removed, so it anyone's guess how much hp they actually produce. My guess is around 30. So yes, the can go quite fast.

chinaseapirate likes this.
  7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Then a reduction of this claim to:

Asked which is it.....oh, surprise surprise, the claims are now removed.

And then we have this:-

Guesses...guesses...is that all you can provide guesses when claiming them to be facts..., after attacking everyone that doesn't sit in your echo chamber?.....oh dear

As suspected.
    Just trolling and haven't a clue what you're talking about, throwing out endless verbal diarrhea and wasting bandwidth.

8. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Mb Kim Nirvana 1.jpg Mb Kim Nirvana 1.jpg
    In the picture you labeled This just in - April 4, 2018. The side markings clearly shows KIM NIRVANA B. This "refuge looking boat" you voted as "the most seaworthy of all" but later edited. This is a 33 ton boat and cannot be powered by a mere 16 Hp. B & S engine.

In the next picture is a capsized boat you described as "Here we have 16 meter loaded waterline boat that capsized yesterday". No, there was no "Yesterday".

The first picture and the second picture is one and the same boat (not NERVANA II, NERVANA 2) and capsized near Ormoc in fairly calm water some 2 1/2 years ago. July 2, 2015 to be exact. Capsized ferry death toll rises to 39 http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/702516/capsized-philippine-ferry-death-toll-rises-to-38-15-missing, Sinking of the Kim Nirvana-B - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Kim_Nirvana-B.

So are you pulling our leg? Binibilog mo ba ulo namin?

Attached Files:

9. chinaseapirate

I'm a sailor, so knots is everything, used both for distance and speed to me by natural conversation. If I stretch a 1350knot voyage into 1500+ miles, to a landlubber, so be it. Mariners have the choice of believing or not. Landlubbers will be smacked around in a different forum have I the necessity to do so. A lot of "proven" yacht designers take far more liberties.
    The example 20-60 knots in the post with "prototypical Filipino outrigger" is not a range limit. Its just an estimate or where these type boats travel to to "catch fish", usually inter-island.Other than tangigue (wahoo) most big pelagic species including squid are 20 konts out from shore. If you go past 60knots, following a school of flying fish say, then you are inevitably closing the distance to another island. Its just a figure of conversation. Their range is much greater and can be "proven" to any disbelievers by near identical mga bangka with optimized outrigger/float combinations.
    As to the removal of posts-... I'll await a post from "Ad Hoc" describing his many "banking" experiences including any heavy weather trips, real or fictitious, that he has made in Filipino bangka(s) or other indigenous craft. I expect an estimated length at waterline, displacement, type of engine and estimated hsp, along with his best opinion of any limitations the vessel had.

10. chinaseapirate

to sharpie: Excellent post, spot on. Did you watch the second video? All but 4 or 5 of those bangka were in the fishing class - no engine mods. 13hsp honda GX is popular now, governor removal is standard in all bangka motors. The throttle is adjusted with fishing line.

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Then you've got a long wait.

With your endless claims, and pathological stretching the truth that woudl make Trump proud, it is you that has yet to prove you have anything of value to contribute to these threads, other than just verbal diarrhea...and more "figure of conversation" rather than anything of worth.

12. chinaseapirate

Ang peke balita sa binasa(at ipakopya) ko nakaroon sa April 4 ay galing sa isang tao (sino ba - ikaw? AdHoc? samytee) tumae ng nakalamon na gulo. Kahit tinangap ko, paano ko dapat malamon di na totoo iyan ba? Ibig sabihin ninyo "not qualified" ang mga opinions ko para sa basahan dito?

13. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Opinions are just that opinions....anyone and everyone has them.

But claims..and assertions which are constantly changing unfounded and when called out either disappear or suddenly taken incorrectly as it was meant as just a figure of speech....that's a different ball game.

So, it's simple, just state it is your opinion..or if it is a fact..if a fact...then you have no problems supporting the fact and any criticism labelled at it. Just as any naval architect/engineer does.

14. chinaseapirate

It appears I have posted an incorrect date and name of boat. I did in fact do so, however I am not for fault as I was the "butt" of an April fools joke. I received the false info from clicking "visit site" of similar ferry boat briefly posted on google images. Although "the names at dates have changed" there was no intention of pulling any ones leg. and now with information in hand( myself included -thank you Rxcomposites) it seems the Kim Nirvana was flipped by a passing ship. Strong opinion.

15. chinaseapirate

Ad Hoc- it is my "quite founded" opinion- that this particular alias of yours is incapable of carrying the title Naval architect from Japan. The only claims or assertions that you refer to and find a need to discus here are all misconception that YOU have created. So get lost, shut up, or behave.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.