Fibreglass repair on a speed boat hull.

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bigsk74, Aug 10, 2006.

1. bigsk74

bigsk74 New Member

I have just got a 13ft speedboat,but is in need of repair. I have no idea what make of boat is it as where is no name on the boat. I have a big repair to under go on the hull. I am new to this and was wondering if there should be foam between the two skins on the boat. I'm I better taking this foam out and to leave it out? Am I better to fix the hole from the top or the bottom? As I said above I am totally new to this and any advise given would be great.Kindest regards Steve.

2. T1MMY

T1MMY Junior Member

hello mate, i am in a similar position, except mine is only a minor repair that needs doing.

have a look here, very informative.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi steve,
    does your hull bottom consist of two skins of fibreglass, one bonded to each side of a foam core somewhere between 1/4" to 1" thick? If so, does the foam tend to disintegrate easily, is it wet, or is it pretty solid?
    Foam coring is used to make a panel stiffer for its weight. However, in the underside of a boat, foam tends to absorb water and deteriorate. A lot of builders have been known to use really crappy materials as cores, that are totally unrepairable once they begin to fail. If a cored laminate turns out to be repairable, the repair is easiest if done from both sides.
    Do you have any pictures you could post?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.