Fiberglass Overlap and Clear Finish

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by DMAN1968, Aug 6, 2007.

1. cudashark

cudashark Senior Member

Hi Par,

Thanks again for the help. I will epoxy all the parts seperatly before perminatly joining them.

Attached Files:

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Sorry, don't mean to hijact this great thread but does Dynel wet out clear with epoxy? I hear it has much better abraision resistance than lightweight glass fabrics.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

No, Dynel doesn't wetout clear, but it does provide about 3 times the abrasion resistance compared to regular 'glass. Xynole provides about 6 times the abrasion resistance and it too doesn't wet out transparent.

Ray, you don't have to pre-coat everything, just the contact areas within joints and other areas that will be out of reach after assembly of a frame, floor, etc. I usually assemble with wet joints, using screws as temporary fasteners. I either leave the screws in or remove them, then coat each frame assembly as a unit afterward. This method permits the green on green technique on the bulk of the pieces being coated. I can gear up for an epoxy run from hell, rather then bunches of small batches as I get pieces ready for goo. It always seems like I have epoxy in the pot and I have to start looking around for things to smear it on, so I plan full day epoxy runs, where I'll be mixing and applying goo, fabric and fillers until I get pissed off enough to stop torturing myself. Tape off the joints, so you get goo where you need it, but no place else, for a neat job of it and less sanding when finishing the encapsulation process.