Fiberglass Hull Repair (Rookie!)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by johnmedic, Sep 15, 2011.

1. johnmedic

johnmedic New Member

Hello! Just bought a '97 Reinell 185, & on my second day out I got a puncture in the hull.. :| it's pretty significant at about 7" length, the boat wasn't taking on a noticeable amount of water but it's definitely punctured through. (No structural damage evident or suspected). The labor cost for fiberglass repair is (as you all know) fairly high, I'm just looking for any opinions out there about how big of a fool I would be to patch it myself. I have time, I'm bright & patient, but I want to know if this sizeable repair might be something I can do right my first time around. I'm reading up on options, not going to Bondo it but I've seen the Duraglass option, is that sound enough to be used on the external body below the waterlinej, any advice will be hugely appreciated!

Uploading photos..

Tl;dr.
    Punctured hull, 7" length, no fiberglass experience..
    Pay the pro's or can I do it myself with the right research & patience?
    Thank You!

2. johnmedic

johnmedic New Member

Photos of the Damage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Do you have access on the inside to the damaged area?

4. johnmedic

johnmedic New Member

No, I do not. Got a quote for appx $700-800.

5. m3mm0s rib

m3mm0s rib Senior Member

of the photographs appears that damage is not great. Can you fix it yourself. rub well point to 100 grit and put 2 layers of mat 600. completely dry after you cross the damage a hand gels coach. on this point put a slide and press.after 12 hours take it off.you will be surprised

6. johnmedic

johnmedic New Member

Thanks for the response!
    If I understand you right, you're saying that after prepping just two layers of mat 600 would be enough? Anyone else agree?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.