Feet-Inches-Eighths to mm

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alexanov, Oct 25, 2016.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

If you can 'visualise' " 0.01 inches", a hundredth of an inch, ( .254 of a mm) then you have really good eyesight, but no plans for boat hull offsets go to that degree. Its a rare plan that gets to 32/s of an inch (.75mm), though I have one set that does. By then it goes to a CNC machine for cutting. Even then, 1/10" ( 2.54 mm) is too coarse.

Decimal inches is a poor orphan in the measurement world, and nothing but precise metal engineering uses it, for jobs that rarely go over a foot.

For boatbuilding, metres, centimetres, millimetres seems to be the best way for my poor brain that shudders at feet and yards, and calculating displacement from non-metric volumes.

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Ok I am reposting here, for you guys' convenience, my spreadsheet for the convertion of tables of offsets.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

3. sprit

sprit Junior Member

rwatson:

If you place a millimeter ruler over a line, you will see that it is easy to estimate whether the line is at one or the next ruler marks. If the line is just between two ruler marks, then you can estimate 0.5 mm. If the line is nearer one or the other ruler marks, then you can easily estimate 0.25 or 0.75 mm.

Yes it is easy to estimate 0.01 inches (about 0.25 mm) when reading a tape marked in decimal inches.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Of course you get to that precision, even in boats 400.000 mm in length.

5. motorbike

motorbike Senior Member

we have a mix of two systems, for us oldies born before 1980 we often think in feet as it suits but act in metric. For example we say "that boat is 38 feet" no one says 11.6 metres, but working on that boat no-none uses inches, its just to hard after using multiples of 10.

6. beernd

beernd Junior Member

I just copy the offset table into EXCEL
    Then I make a second table where each cell has the number of feet inches and eights of inches added up an example (3*30.4)+(4*2.54)+(5*0.3175)
    Please note that I convert to centimeters rather than mm, this is because it is easier to read centimeters from your tap messure than mm example 12.7 is 12 centimeters and the .7 the milimeters

7. kilocahrlie

kilocahrlie Junior Member

As a matter of habit, I've always drafted my work, boats, aircraft, automotive, or other, in both SI and English units, tolerances and related data in GDT (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing).

I usually leave the annotated, corrected, clarified, and finalized calculations pages attached right behind the drafting so that anyone wishing to challenge my work is free to do so. It is a slight, but usually welcome effort at transparency. The emphasis is on correctness of engineering and clear communication so that the technicians have little to question.

8. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

The real problems come when the tooling is made in the Far East and the toolmakers cannot understand the notation in English! Don't ask how I know.....

9. OzFred

OzFred Senior Member

According to Wikipedia, a nautical mile is based on 1/60th of a degree of latitude and is now defined as exactly 1,852 metres.

The world is not a perfect sphere (it's more an oblate spheroid), so a degree of latitude is a different distance depending on where it's measured. Any such measure based on a physical object is only an approximation of the true value (as is any physical measurement).

10. kilocharlie2

kilocharlie2 Junior Member

Suki -

Don't worry, I won't ask - I know how you know. That used to be my job - toolmaker. I can hear Alabama playing Song of the South:

"...Gone. Gone with the wind - ain't nobody lookin' back again. "

Guess I'll go get a job with the TVA....

11. Proflooney

Proflooney Junior Member

12. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

It would be so nice to read previous replies before posting a duplicate link.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.