fastest straight line sprinter

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lucdekeyser, Oct 1, 2004.

1. lucdekeyser

lucdekeyser Senior Member

To avoid inteference with the very interesting thread on "long-skinny power boats" I started a new but related thread to discuss solutions to a peculiar mission: what would be the best hull to achieve the highest speed also in rough seas and to keep the craft as level as possible WITHOUT taking into account turns. Just a bare straight line sprinting machine. The final speed is more important than the time to reach that speed.
    If I start with the specs of a 26 m VSV from the spreadsheet published on the Paragon Mann web site http://www.vsvboats.com/, could there be anything to change to the hull to go faster in a straight line but increase the installed power?

Length overall 26,00m
    Length waterline 23,97m
    Beam moulded 4,47m
    Draught maximum 1,30m
    Maximum running displacement 49409kg
    Installed Power 2680kW
    Speed at 40861kg 48,1kts

Luc :?:

2. JCFARER

JCFARER Junior Member

Holy mackerel LUC, you are all over...

I would probably say that Hydrofoils would be something you might consider since it would reduce wetted area and therefore reduce drag which would translate into more speed. Also, there seems to be quite a bit of spray in that picture. Spray increases wetted area too. How efficient is that thing really. Good luck.

Jay

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.