Fastener Technique

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by We're Here, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I'm lazy and cheap. I just over size the drill hole a little, stuff some epoxy in and when it's firming up, turn the oil smeared screws in. This is only for piano hinge type applications however, the above recommendations work well for bolts and such.

Happy fastening!

-Tom

2. We're Here

We're Here Junior Member

As I think about the image that Tom's painted, the self-taping bayonet fittings for canvas surrounds come to mind. I have heard of many topside core failures blamed on these little guys. Anyone deal with self-taping screws differently?

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

My feeling on pretty much all screws is that they have NO business on a fiberglass boat, at least outside the very minimal application of small trim work. Screws can't bite into glass, they fracture it instead. Meaning not only do you have water intrusion at the hole, but a week spot surrounding it

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.