fast but lightweight cruiser

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Dec 25, 2013.

1. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

I will do! When I am back in constant building progress I will open a seperate thread for it. Originally I wanted to build a 26footer, but I bought a 13m small chord wingmast and 35m² mainsail (shown on the sailplan) as a unresistable bargain, so the boat had to grow a little in length. If budged after launching allows it (*haha*), there will be a bigger racing main.

Michel

2. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

Thanks so very much Gary... brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! That's precisely the sailplan I've been dreaming of!

So many say things can't (or shouldn't) be done. Fore and aft rotating wingmasts on a narrow hull form... until someone just does it... SHAZAMM.

From the hull abuilding pictures... it appears that some aspect of freestanding is at play. Would you be able to give some info on the proportion of the sailing righting moment that is carried by the (partially) freestanding base and how much do the shrouds contribute? (Sorry if I missed forum discussion on this, point me to it if you can and I go there for starters.)

If you can remember... in plan view, what what's the (sweep-back) angle of the shrouds? And the sweep-forward for the stays that provide headstay/forward tension for the aft mast?

Now for the crowning glory (regrading going to weather "like a witch")... do you have any actual/measured data/experience, such as the best (fewest) degrees between tacks when going hard up the breeze?

Thank you Gary,
    TomH
    ----------------
    Tom Henry
    Salem, Mass, USA

3. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

Achtung Kollegen !
    ;)

Michael,
    your design with
    cylinder moulded stock design floats with your stems only ? :D
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    http://multihullblog.com/2012/05/original-tomcat-30/
    http://www.theboatguys.com/Multi.htm
    Dust on the floats ? Bad quality pix shot 20 years ago * ?
    How did you call the boat, no the project, now labelled as " Husky" , for more than ten years ? "Mustang" ?

* so you "build" and "design" longer than Doug ! :) Auch ' ne
    Leistung.

Egal....
    Sorry for OT.

Michael,
    go ahead, but GO !!!

pogo

4. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Oiginally the masts were freestanding (first jpeg) but I bent the cantilevered base of the forward one carrying too much sail in wind and waves - so went to conventional stays (and raked the masts back).
    In fresher winds we reef the fore rig, leave the main after one full sail, sort of like carrying smaller conventional headsail/jib. The skimmer carries 22m2 sail including masts which is plenty for a 5.5 x 2.25m unballasted mono.
    You can see in the profile shot the staying points and their relation to the protruding mast base bearings in the second jpeg. The main mast (after one) has four point staying and the forward double stays (on the after mast) have to be set up very hard (the angle of the two stays is steep) - it is much simpler with 3 point but couldn't do that because, well, you just cannot have that setup with the after rig because it tangles things. Fore mast is conventional 3 point.
    Haven't got any to windward angle readouts; just compared the skimmer's performance with other boats - which we usually outpoint. Boat was designed for fast reaching and running (which it does well) but the beating performance was a pleasant surprise. We carry a deep daggerboard, set just forward of after mast base.

Attached Files:

5. Gary Baigent

A few more ideas and different angles. BOA is now extended to 9.5 m. More depth to floats. Main mast has 4 stays like the skimmer. L foils are fixed, 2-3 degrees attack.
    Last image is of Jim Young's Bladon Racer, designed in the late 1970's for Dooley Wilson in Tauranga; nothing is new?

Attached Files:

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Skimmer

===============
    What great pictures of a great boat!!! Man, I love that Skimmer!

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==========
    Gary, do I detect a subtle change to the ama foils-some "uptip"? Better altitude control?

8. Gary Baigent

Very observant of you, Doug, some nationalistic Kiwi fervour and following on my part.
    Joking aside, there is a practical side too; if sailing in shallow water and you touch bottom, it will be the reinforced turn area that takes the force and not the foil tips.
    And anyway, I want to see how such foil design works ... since I've tried most other configurations (because of fatal curiosity and personal strangeness).
    Actually at the end of the day, all foil designs do their job. You just have to choose the best compromise for you.

9. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Gary I find it interesting how you are willing to experiment full size with your ideas. It will be intersting to see what come of this.

10. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Hi Gary,
    i like your progress!
    Just a short question and please no new bow discussion. Why are you using this kind of bow on the mainhull instead the reverse one you have on sid? You could have a longer waterline and better angle of entry with it, as well as more volume at the front?

Best Regards, Michel

11. Gary Baigent

Yes Michel, if I was logical the bow would be conventionally raked aft - for sensible anchoring or mooring, but it loses waterline length and tends to increase pitching movements, throws the bow up. Straight or reverse bow counters this and is better shaped for reducing pitching, but not so good for mooring and topside abrasion with the latter - and a rounded profile alllows a reasonable compromise in that the topsides are wave piercing like the reverse version but doesn't have quite the propensity to catch the warp ... plus I like the curving aesthetics - a subjective thing. Can understand others not liking it.
    And fickle-like, could change my mind next week and go to reverse shapes; requires a pulpit up there anyway - so that will spoil the bow to deck curving line.

12. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

The bow is interesting, it splits the difference between the 2 types well. For cruising it will help with the small drift but you may not have as much in the water there as we do in the PNW.

13. Gary Baigent

Decided to go back to the raked forward main beam (but less extreme angle) because the supporting bulkhead can also be used for the main mast base - which means one ring frame less and also opens up the interior; the forward mast sits on forward watertight bulkhead - so that is a better situation also. Lifted gunwhales so the cabin top has less curve. Cockpit has been shifted aft a little and the new semi-circular tracks utilize the cabin top - whereas before, was thinking of wishbone booms - which, imo, don't do as good a job as conventional block and tackle sheeting. Will run the forward rig sheeting and traveller controls, plus the main rig systems, back to cockpit - will be a busy area.

Attached Files:

14. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Liking it a lot Gary, looking forward to seeing an internal layout.

I need a permanent double, preferable private, for recreational purposes. ;)

15. Gary Baigent

Yeah, well, under the cockpit for you, mate, long as you can handle claustrophobia. I can fence it off with some thin ply, hole for entrance and a bit of plastic for privacy, if that will suffice, sir?
    Actually the layout will be simple and basic, galley near the cockpit entrance, navigation the other side, food and booze consumption and sleeping area forward of main bulkhead, toilet by the daggerboard case. Howsthat?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.