fairey hunt 18

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by garrybull, Feb 26, 2012.

1. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

progress has been slow lately due to being busy with work.

i managed to do a few bits today.

the wheelhouse has now had a coat of white flowcoat to match the hull.

the hatches have been flowcoated and gritted ready for hinges and lift handles to be fitted.

its now ready for the deck to be sanded down and the deck gritted to match the hatch lids.

oh yeah and the roof is now bright orange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

fender rubber is now fitted and the door and hatches are now fitted.

just got the lift handles to fit to the hatches once i get a new router to recess the lids were the handles are to be fitted.

im hoping to get the deck gelled gritted this afternoon if i have time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucainbarca likes this.
  3. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

deck is now gelled gritted in dark grey and looks really good.

all i've got left to do is gel the floor in the wheelhouse and flowcoat the anchor compartment and then i can start fitting it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

wow

Wow
    Congratulations on such a nice job !!! its very refreshing to see some one persistant and making such a good job . I hope the boat goes as good as it looks !! onec all the hardware and windows etc gets fitted will look even better . well done :):D:p

5. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

cheers mate. its starting to come together now.

not much more to do now before i can start fitting it out.

6. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

got the wheelhouse floor gritted this afternoon in between the showers.

looks much better in there now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

i have started to mount the bits in the wheelhouse now.

helm fitted along with wheel. hose's not run yet as have to get longer ones.

switch panel fitted , bilge pump switches fitted , plotter + fishfinder mounted , compass mounted , 2 busbars and fuse holders fitted as well.

getting it all ready to be wired up soon.

also had to extend the main remote loom to engine as it was nearly 2ft short. got that done and fired engine to make sure it still worked and it fired first turn so all good there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

got a little bit more done.

the steering is now all plumbed up and working , remote cables fitted , wiper motor fitted.

also had a bit of work done on a radar arch i've got. had a full width stainless plate welded on top.

have fitted nav lights to it and run the wires through the tube. just need vhf anteena so i can run the cable trough then the arch can be fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

You Get 110% From Me !!!!!

congratulations !! its sure coming along great !!
    so clean and tidy and neat . its is what really counts not only when its new but in the coing years as well . easy to keep looking a million dollars . Like the steering with hydraulics . i really am not a fan of push pull cables at all . and after fitting hydraulics to my own boat i would never accept anything less now !!
    Well done !!
    This is the best dockumented site i have seen any where also we dont and keep up the verygood work !!:p:D

10. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

cheers tunnels.

almost there now. not a great deal to do to finish it off.

i like my boats to look clean when built and as you say it helps to keep the boat clean for the coming years.

the hydraulic steering i picked up from a boat jumble for £100 new. just needed longer hose's which i got for £75 so a bargain.

the remote cables is the quickest and easiest way to get that side of it done.

i didn't know you can get hydraulic remote's.

will be plenty more pics coming soon as the work nears the end of the build and then off for sea trials which im looking forward too now.

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Hydraulic remotes !! wow that should be a go !! cables are always a problem and they sieze up if they not used for long time and not oiled regularly .
    Cant wait to see some in the water picks and the boat under way .
    Good luck !:D

12. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

getting closer.

got the power trim sorted today and its now working as it should.

fitted new impeller and its now pumping water like fire truck. carbs may need a clean as the revs aren't as smooth as they should be when the engine is revved up.

click on the picture for video of engine running.

[​IMG]

13. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

May be an optical illusion, but the motor appears to be a little low ? With the set-back you have there, the cav plate needs to be at least 2 or 3 inches higher than the continuation of the keel line. Looks as though you have scope to raise it several holes if need be.

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

What ??

Get off the grass mate !! 2 or 3 inchs (50 to 75 mm )!!:eek:what sort of medication you on ?? or do you make your own home brew ?? :confused:
    Its closer to 12 mm for every 300 mm aft of the end of the transom as a starting rule of thumb .
    3 inchs !!you'd need a need a nose cone and a bottom water pick up with a airated prop !!
    To fine tune just 5 mm rise of lower is all it takes between a airation prop and non airated prop in a tight turn either way at 3/4 speed and one person in the boat !!.

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

At least 2" with a stainless cupped prop imo. And he has an SS prop by the looks, it looks too low the way it is, but maybe that is just my eyes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.