Extension of a planing boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by HJS, Jul 28, 2010.

1. HJS

HJS Member

Please attach some pictures or drawings, so it is easier to judge what might will happen at a rebuild. It is very important that center of gravity and center of pressure are in balance and harmony with each other. It can go totally wrong if it does not match.

js

2. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Hi Par and HJS not sure on how to get a picture from my PC to the forum page. I can send images via email with no problem's.
    The pods themselves are quite large being 400L x 500W x 600H by x2 of adds quit a lot too the transom in ways of buoyancy and being split apart must add to stability aswell, like a twin hull boat, so the way I see it its like having a mono-cat "this could be a new design concept"
    A little info on the hull, we have a 20' monohull with a 2.55m beam at around 1/3 span from the bow tapering back to 2.2m at the stern, and an 16Deg dead-rise, this is a custom built vessel, this seems to be made for patrol or rescue purpose. This is not confirmed but the setup and style of the boat tend to place it as that sort of boat. There is a very narrow small windscreen leading directly to a fully welded and reinforced welded hard top, makes for any "Greeny" wave over the bow virtually impossible to flood the deck. That with its bullet shaped hull turned up turned gunnul and self draining floor lead me to believe that this boat was designed as a rough water boat that never saw any action "why?", maybe that's why the pods were added to manage stability, I'm not sure, but they were added for a reason, nobody butches a good hull for no reasonable propose, it must have been faulty and flirty to start with. Or was it just a simple way to extract another 1.5' in length the easy way.
    The above is only my summation of the vessel, any history is hard to come by and I am still unable to talk to the designer creature as he is long retired.
    Please note this is a vessel I purchased needing repair, I have not had the opportunity to have it on the water, and will not be used until the repairs are complete.
    Village Idiot
    The pods have been welded in to match the lines of the hull no great science there, wonderful hull shape but cant see why this has been done, maybe a total lemon, only time will tell.
    Katoh

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.