Evinrude FICHT 135 2001 overcharging

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by hmattos, Jun 15, 2008.

1. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Hi all you Evinrude experts... I have a customer with a 2001 FICHT 135 V6 outboard with 550 hours on the unit. The engine has been maintained by us here in Devon England - www.explorermarine.co.uk - since new and the reliability has been fantastic.
    Recently the Engine Management Module EMM software has been indicating that the alternator is overcharging, and hence it puts the warning lights and buzzers on the dashboard.

The service manual gives some tests, and we have seen that the regulator is attempting to charge at up to 16.8 volts - which is not good for the battery!

Since the voltage regulator is within the EMM - which costs £1000 / $2000 in the UK, we are looking for a cheaper solution to solve this customers problems...
    Any ideas out there?
    Thanks HM

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

with the emm regulating the charging voltage you have to have the unit at lest rebuilt i don't know the price but BRP does offer a rebuilt unit and last i checked it was around $700USD i haven't had to replace one of these units in a year and some so i don't know current prices but i have never had a problem with the brp rebuilds in the past

3. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Thanks for that - Evinrude do not list the EMM here in the UK as a rebuilt item. Do you per chance have a part number or dealer name that I could contact in the states to get a rebuilt unit from you over that side of the pond?

Thanks

Hugh Mattos

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.