everglades challenge sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by rapscallion, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===================
    Looks great-and a good way to work out issues. I like the cat! Good luck....

2. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

My cat idea is great except for one aspect, speed! yeah sure, it'll be faster than most EC boats, but not the H18, Tornado, or Randy Smyth's Sizzors trimaran.

How do I get more hull length for the speed but keep the outrigger idea for stability? If you look at Sizzors and then the proa, then you start seeing how similar they are.

I think I can get a boat close to Sizzor's speed but I won't out sail Mr. Smyth!

Attached Files:

3. spidennis

Thanks Doug!

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

================
    Why not a Sizzors-like tri? You could even(maybe) step the masts in each small ama if you didn't want to use one larger rig(best idea in my opinion)?

5. spidennis

I can't envision what you describe .....
    but I don't want a copy of randy's boat.

With the proa I will have to learn to "shunt". the cat I can sail in my sleep, and will have to!

6. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

This sort of boat and size but with this sort of rig.

Attached Files:

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==================
    Thats it!!

8. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Dennis,

How about a cat (where you started from) that sizzors, only about 20 degrees while sailing to make sure the lee sail is not blanketed during a reach, but 45 degrees for the bridge obstacle and 70 for the portage. Use Frank Smoots Fan Sail since it is unstayed, has a low CE and can be lowered very easily. Make the hulls as long and skinny as you can for light weight similar to the CLCBoat Madness. How about 25-30' long, 6-8" wide (per hull), 10' separation on the hulls. You could actually use 4 fan sails (as a bi-plane schooner) but only raise the aft sail on the windward side - the other side would be blanketed. Reefing would be by dropping which ever sail keeps you in balance.

9. spidennis

Impressive Boats!
    but I don't see that actually completing an EC or even getting off the beach at the starting line. And you have to narrow the beam to 10' to get thru some bridges, then there's the shallow water and reefs where that foil would just hate.
    For another course this idea would be great .....

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

----------------------------
    Use this foil(if it works): with the ama it only draws 6"(at max lift) on an 18 footer. It should work since it based on the science behind DSS. Could work well on Gary's biplane rig which you could scissor like sizzors.....

Attached Files:

11. spidennis

Scissor design huh? I thought about that originally but still can't see how to do that and still be strong. I know not all the possibilities have been explored concerning folding, I just hadn't come up with any that works except for what I got going on.

I have had the idea mentioned that a schooner rigged cat like the proa might work?

for the sail I'm thinking a roller furling boom like wizard had back in 06 ufc. I'd like to keep the sail shape at all points of reefing if I could. It would also satisfy the reefing rules which are getting tougher every year. It's a hot topic right now in the wt forums.

What? no one likes the proa idea? Long, skinny, light and really fast? really?

I was thinking about calling it burning candle or something like that, with a paint scheme with flames off each end, you know burning a candle at both ends? You're really gonna like the paint scheme for the cat! I'll be trying them out on my models first of course. pics to follow of course!

12. spidennis

I'd really like to know how Sizzors will scissor! And how the Mosquito intended to portage 40 miles!

Right now any foil technology is way over my head .....
    but I know it would have to flip up and up onto the deck for the beach start and landings, and for any shallow water. I thought about it but only as a wish for some later date for when I got foil smart or found someone that is.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=====================
    Just so you understand: these foils would not have to flip up for beach landings or takeoffs at all-the main hull could be pulled up the beach w/o the foils touching anything. And on the boat these are going on, the whole thing folds in a couple of minutes from 18' wide to 8' wide.......

14. spidennis

ok, you got my interest!

15. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

You could either scissor the main beam (my preference for a bi-plane rig) or have it centrally hinged to fold back - and that is where the small floats come in because they have to pivot to align with water flow - therefore the less length the better and rely on the foils for lift and power, either L's, T's, Y's, curved or angled; they all work, just make your choice. Actually my original Sid platform at 26x26 feet would work okay because it is so light - and would give the Tornado or Sew Sew a run for their money.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.