Ever heard of a Rocketmar ??

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Isaac, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Isaac

Isaac Isaac

Has anyone ever heard of the boat manufactuer Rocketmar? I am starting restore one it has a 16' hull and was manufactured in 1958 I cannot find any imformation on it other than the regristration any advise would be appreciated.

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

would make things easyer with some pictures !!:D :p

3. Rmillerb

Rmillerb New Member

Rocketmar

I know a bit about them as I had one for about 5 years. Absolutely loved the boat, never should have sold it. What info do you need?

4. Isaac

Isaac Isaac

anything would be great, a family/friend passed away and I have inherited the boat, i've been restoring the engine for about a month now and have searched the hull inside and out. The only imformation I have found about the company is on the registration and the front motor mount bracket which reads "Rocket Marine". the boat seems to be extremely well built for the time period, im just looking to find any imformation on seeing as though I have found nothing online. do you have an old manuel or know were i could purchase one perhaps?

5. Rmillerb

Rmillerb New Member

Hi Isaac,
    I don't know of a manual as I never had one either. All I really know is that the boat was made by Rocket Marine using a biesmeyer 16 foot hull. Rocket changed the interior layout to make it unique (covered engine, seats 6) My boat handled extremely well and was damn fast for an old boat, maybe 60 with 2 people. I put a 375 horse 327 chevrolet in mine.
    What kind of accessories are on the boat? fuel tanks? exhaust? still have the engine cover? Original vdrive? I'm starting to think there's a possibility we are talking about the same boat as we are both in california and I've never seen another one like it. That would be really fun.

Ron

6. Isaac

Isaac Isaac

Hi miller,
    Thank you for the imformation about the make of the hull I think that will help a lot as far as finding information on it, but sadly I don't think have/had the same boat though. The previous owner has had it since the early 70's. It originally came with a 265 chevy , but about 15 years ago the block cracked and he replaced it with a 283 and it hasnt been in the water since. he also siad he put a velvetouch transimission in it but it still has the original v-drive. As soon as i figure out how i'll post pics of it on this website. I'm not sure if there stock but it has aluminium Cal-marine exhaust maniflods and dual exhaust straight out the back. The cooling system is the lake and it has no radiator which I assume is normal for this type of boat. The hull according to the regisration is 16' 2" with two bench style seats which does look like it could comfortabley seat six.

7. Isaac

Isaac Isaac

It does also have what I think is the original enginee cover but the previous owner, I think built his own hood scoop for it back in his college days

8. Rmillerb

Rmillerb New Member

Isaac
    Bummer about the engine cover being modified. i'll see if I can find a way to post some old pics of mine, maybe you can get it back to original if you want to. Mine had a casale vdrive, which are supposed to be really strong but I would take a velvettouch any day as those old crash boxes are noisy with no reverse....ugh. Two forward facing bench seats in a 16 foot boat...great idea.

Ron

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.