Ethics of using photos/images

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Alik, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ild be all for you Alik if you can somehow get honesty into general use on the internet.
    would be a welcome and long overdue change
    B

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im all for more rules, yup more rules is whats needed.

Young men generally think that way, unfortunately it just does'nt work.

Enforcing the ones we have is difficult enough, why /how could more be better?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You know, I don't really feel bad for those that post things on line, then have them "stolen" and used else where.

We have protection systems in place and though clearly certain parts of the world are immune from retort, if they do steal your work, you're the one that posted in on line in the first place, knowing full well it's the same thing as dropping your shorts in a paddle factory.

You can protect artwork on line by the way it's posted, so that only the most determined can "pick it up" and paste it whee they want. You can also introduce intentional distortions into the work so they can't really use you stuff.

I'm sorry some have found the reality of the internet painful (I've had work stolen too), but there are resources and protections available, but you have to use them. If you don't, you just can't expect to get lucky and hope no one will steal your stuff. That's the same thing as placing a fake pad lock on the gate to your yard. It may fool some of the thieves, but eventually, one of them is going to try it and discover it's just a fake lock.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't see a problem of posting a photo of a boat built by the same design you are selling. As long as you don't claim it is your own build.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I agree it is unethical (and probably illegal) to use images to create the impression with anybody that what they see is their creation. You can just as well take someone to any one else's boat out there and say that it was your build. Same thing, and it should stand up in court.

As Jeff suggested, if you mail the webmaster there should be no problem getting them to remove it,

- or -

if they want to keep it there to enhance their web page it should be stated clearly who the builder is (picture courtesy of...) and a reference to the builder's web site so you get a bit of advertising from them for using your picture.

In reality they should have asked if they may use that picture.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I think it was already mentioned that the web master was notified and the notification seems to have been ignored. My bet is its so common and so difficult to prosecute profitably that most of these occurrences end up getting ignored.

7. Alik

Alik Senior Member

My opinion is opposite. If they do it without any comment, the impression is that they have built all those boats. Look at this as example - the company has built only 20' boats, and most of photos on the web are not their boats. What should customer think?

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Please read the quote you posted. It says: "As long as you don't claim it is your own build" You are in such a hurry to critisize you don't even read what you post.

9. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Gonzo, I have read it already.

Strange logic. Usually a photo/image/specification on manufacturer's website means that this is a product of this manufacturer. If posted without any comments, by default it looks like it is product of such manufacturer.

What I say here is that if such photo is posted, comment should be made that this is not their product. The customer is not supposed to guess.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Your right Alik 100%

However if I was a boat builder and I posted a picture on my web site I would need to be aware that it could be used by some one else and there would be little I could do about it.

If I was bothered about that, I would mark the photo some how as I have seen many images that are.

You should'nt have to do this but this is life today.

11. masalai

masalai masalai

It all boils down to loose morals, and a lack of business ethics... Then it is an easy walk to fraud, theft and other forms of deception and market manipulation, - - then it is just a matter of corruption begets corruption, - - leading to total social and economic breakdown... QED.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.