essence of yachts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by frank marsden, May 24, 2006.

1. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I'd appreciate you posting some images at 'Containerable motorsailer' thread, if possible.

About this thread: I firmly believe boating is a matter of dreams. And what is nice for ones, may be ugly for others...

2. MAINSTAY

MAINSTAY Junior Member

I had a lanteen rig on a Malibu outrigger (6m). It was a fast rig. As I recall, the mast was 13-ft (10-ft above deck) and we just lifted it out of its pocket at the end of the day. The gaff was 27-ft and could be quickly and easily lowered for overhead obstacles, not that we had any.
    There seems to be a myth that a wishbone mast or bipod mast is easy to raise and lower, and a single mast is not. I suggest that the windage is not worth the benefit, particulary when a single mast is easily lowered with proper placement of the shroud chainplates. A bipod mast is easy because it has its pivots aligned and the two masts provide lateral support to each other.
    It's easy enough to to get the lateral support by aligning the hole in each shroud chainplate with the maststep hinge. On many boats this puts the top of the chainplate above the rail, as high as the doghouse on some boats.The support required during lowering can be provided by adding a diagonal chainplate or using a pair of chainplates in an inverted V. If the chainplate holes are aligned a little aft or below the step pivot, the tension in the shrouds will be relaxed a little, but can still be adequate for control of the mast during lowering.
    Larry

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Previous Member

The design imparted and imprintment of the artist soul, infused and emerged as the essense of yacht

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.